Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poochella_gw

Some Yellows Caution: Lots of photos for dial uppers

Poochella
14 years ago

I am completely taken aback by Aztec Gold this year. Someone on this forum recommended it, so thank you! It's a new favorite- early to bloom, lots of stout flowers in a golden orange on exceptional stems.

With a flash in evening

{{gwi:648094}}

Daylight

{{gwi:648099}}

A group of Aztec Golds. Richer orangey gold than this.

{{gwi:648102}}

Ferncliff Sunburst- Much smaller than I'd envisioned but a pleasant little yellow. Many flowers are smaller than usual because of our incredible run of hot dry weather this summer. Glad that's almost over...

{{gwi:648105}}

A group of same. Flowers are barely 4" across.

{{gwi:648108}}

Vista Lindsay a nice medium sized laciniated. Early to bloom.

{{gwi:648109}}

Windhaven Blush bud just opening.

{{gwi:648111}}

I was going to get a progressive series of photos but it opened too fast! Still blushing...

{{gwi:648113}}
{{gwi:648115}}
{{gwi:648117}}

Old favorite that never disappoints is Chimacum Topaz.

{{gwi:648119}}

One more partly yellow but really red this year is pompon Kasasagi. It's usually more yellow with thin red edging for me, but this year red has taken over.

{{gwi:648122}}

Comments (8)

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Gorgeous pictures of gorgeous flowers. Thanks muchly. Steve in Baltimore County.

• collielover
    14 years ago

Very nice to know Aztec Gold is a good one I'm going to look for it next time I order. Kasasagi is very Wow, love it really red.

• suzieq52
    14 years ago

Don't forget to put the Wyn's in front of the name Aztec Gold- it's a Wynne introduction-- I got it this year, too & it's wonderful.

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wasn't aware of the Wyn's nomenclature. I got it from Ferncliff Gardens and don't recall it being named "Wyn's..."

Regardless, it's marvelous and a keeper, for sure. I see that Wynnes are the originators, but it wasn't labelled as such, nor is it listed as Wyn's Aztec Gold in the Biglist. Maybe that needs to be corrected. But anyone interested in a big, golden-orange wonder dahlia should consider it anyway :)

Here is a link that might be useful: ADS online

• linht
    14 years ago

Lovely as always, Poochella. Glad you're still posting pics here and glad I still have high speed internet :)

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Linht. I forgot to get in touch with you this April. Next year? Nice to see you back and I hope you too have dahlias to show here.

Windhaven Blush opened.
    {{gwi:648124}}

• plantlady2008
    14 years ago

Hi Annie- that Windhaven Blush is gorgeous!
    As for Aztec Gold- it is ours & all of ours are in the process of having the Wyn's put in front of the name. Some of the growers that put out a catalog every year might not change the name because of production costs? Dunno--- but I'll get in touch w/ Don McAllister to have it changed on the Big List- I thought it had been. Ah, well...can't keep up w/ everything. Just finished deadheading all the gardens & disbudding- although it seems like that needs doing again as soon as we get through it. I keep telling Farmer Walt if he didn't fertilize we wouldn't have that problem >:)
    SuzieQ- thanks for giving the heads-up! & for the endorcement on the other thread- I'm glad to hear your dahlias are doing so well.

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These photos are really small and I retract my warning of caution for dial uppers. THey should load pretty fast.

Chimcaum Julia- Rich yellow, stout bloom and stem. I like it!

{{gwi:648126}}