Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

Some recent dahlia shots

jroot
13 years ago

I realized that I hadn't been around here for a long time, and thought that you might like to see more shots of what is happening around here with the dahlias.

I have been spending a lot of time over at the Garden Tenders site. If you check it out (BELOW), you'll see that I have been expanding my tropical hibiscus collection somewhat this year. Between that and working, I've been a busy boy.

{{gwi:648273}}

{{gwi:648275}}

{{gwi:648277}}

{{gwi:648279}}

{{gwi:648281}}

{{gwi:648283}}

{{gwi:648285}}

{{gwi:648287}}

{{gwi:648289}}

{{gwi:648291}}

{{gwi:521265}}

{{gwi:523123}}

{{gwi:523124}}

{{gwi:523125}}

{{gwi:523126}}

{{gwi:523127}}

{{gwi:523128}}

{{gwi:523129}}

{{gwi:523130}}

{{gwi:523131}}

{{gwi:648303}}

{{gwi:648306}}

{{gwi:648309}}

{{gwi:648311}}

{{gwi:648312}}

{{gwi:648314}}

{{gwi:648316}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Tenders

Comments (14)

• oscarthecat
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great stuff JRoot. Steve S.

• pdshop
    13 years ago

Those are just beautiful. I have a hibiscus that is taller than myself and covered with huge flowers. There are some exotic sites out there with colors we don't see here.

• mandolls
    13 years ago

Your Dahlias are beautiful ! Could you list the names, if you know them, and the approximate size of the blooms pictured?

There are a few I would love to get a hold of.

Thanks

• Poochella
    13 years ago

Wonderful as always, Jroot.

• jroot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Which ones were you interested in Mandolls? It may take some digging to find all the names. Some are repeats. I find that differing locations for sun causes different colorations.

• annabeth
    13 years ago

Very, very nice. I really like the garden shots with the water feature--it looks very lush. Thanks for posting.

Annabeth

• mandolls
    13 years ago

Sometimes all of the pics dont load for me, so I cant give you the # of where it is listed, but the ones I am most smitten with are the first one, with the variegated lilac and white coloring, the solid red, and the peach and red one where your hand is in the photo.

I have a bad habit of not holding on to the names myself, so I understand if you cant find the info - thanks

• jroot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mandolls, unfortunately, the first two you mention were obtained from a "grab bag" of mixed dahlias I discovered in a flower show a few years ago. There are no names on the photos.

The last one you mention is an amazing dahlia called Peach Brandy which is available from Charing House in Ontario. It grows tall with a sturdy stem, and blooms like crazy.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach Brandy link

• jroot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For some reason, the link didn't copy completely. It seems to have cut off the "+Brandy"
    Here it is again:

http://charinghousegardens.ca/catalogue.php?flname=Peach+Brandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach Brandy link

• mandolls
    13 years ago

Thanks jroot, I hadn't been to that site before. I'll start planning for next year now.

• annabeth
    13 years ago

Peach Brandy looks a lot like Swan's Olympic Flame with its summer colors. Swan's Olympic Flame gets to be a nice solid pumpkin orange when the weather cools but in the heat it is real dark in the center and light on the outside like Peach Brandy.

My favorite in your pics is the orange trio in the pic with the garden light to the left in the pic and the wooden church model in the background on the right. I love the little church too! Did you build it?

Annabeth

• jroot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Annabeth. Yes, I did built the little church bird house for my wife. She is of Ukranian descent so I thought the onion domes would be appropriate for her. There haven't been any birds that want to get religious yet, though. LOL

• annabeth
    13 years ago

Jroot--Since your wife is of Ukranian descent, I wonder if you grow the dahlia Ukraine Free?
    I got it this year, but I can't say much about it except that it hasn't bloomed yet. I don't believe it is the dahlia's fault though since it got a late start in my garden. I got it from Accent based solely on their description that it is super heat-tolerant. I don't think I'll have a chance to test that this year since it doesn't even have a bud yet and by the time it blooms it will be cooler (I hope).

Somehow I knew that you built that little bird church. Maybe if you offered Coffee and Donuts, they'd come back. :)

Annabeth

• jroot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, Annabeth, I do not have Ukraine Free. I will have to "check it out" though. Thanks for the tip. It certainly has a nice colour. Do you know if it is a tall variety?

I just got home from a trip to Newfoundland, and have not yet had a chance to get out to see how the dahlias are doing. It is still dark out here, as my internal clock is an hour and a half a head of us still, which explains my being up so early.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ukraine Free Dahlia photo

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21