Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
epsom salt solution for foliar feed?

Posted by linaria 7 Switzerland (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 4:47

Hi there,
so I am in the process of dealing with a slight virus problem, several Dahlias with slightly mottled leaves.

I came across epsom salt (Magnesium sulphate) as additional feed.

My Dahlias are in the soil, and I intended to spray the foliage.

BUT,.... I a not sure what strenght to use.
I did some research,
here in the forum I found

- 1 teaspoon per gallon, to use on container Dahlias, that would be probably 0,13% (if I did the math right)

-in the internet I found varying recommendation, mainly for agricultural crops for spraying the foliage, ranging from 2% to 5% (for wheat, asparagus, cabbage etc).

so, I thought to go for a 1%-solution or 0.5% and spray it once.

And just for curiosity`s sake I would water one row (out of three) with a stronger solution).

Any comments or hints concerning the dosage?

And how long should it take to show a response (1-2 days or a week)?

Well, thanks for your thoughts, bye, Lin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: epsom salt solution for foliar feed?

Lin, I have heard varying amounts, as well. After comparing different recommended amounts, I ended up both foliar-feeding and applying to the soil directly at different times.

With Foliar feed, I used two tablespoons dissolved in a cup of hot water, and added to a two- gallon sprayer.

On several separate occasions, I sprinkled 1-2 tablespoons directly to the top of the soil around each stalk and tuber.

Every method showed better-looking leaves in about ten days. Many plants that showed virus sign ended up looking great, while a few didn't seem to improve. Those need pulled.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here