Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Dahlias in containers now?

Posted by aliceinvirginia (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 08 at 6:00

I was at a nursery, and found they had 3.99 tubers marked down to $.99.

I figured what the h*ll and thought I'd buy them and see how they do.

I'm a balcony container gardener, so I figured I can just bring them indoors if I need to.

I opened up the packages and looked inside the plastic. One looks like it has three shoots and some roots, and the other has a lot of roots.

This is all mixed up with peat.

I have a lot of 4 and 5 gallon buckets. I plan on making self-watering containers out of them. On the container forum there is Al's recommended soil mix. I thought I would use that. It's supposed to be well-draining.

Are self-watering containers OK for Dahlias?

Since there are roots and sprouts, how do I tell which side is up? Is there an up?

Can they continue into the fall/winter if they are by a large, sunny window?

I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm in northern Virginia and think I might be zone 7

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Dahlias in containers now?

Usually you want your tubers to stay reasonably dry so they'll promote root growth and avoid tuber rot. Self watering can be fine, but keep the water to a minimum until buds start to appear.

As far as which way is up, there should be some crown material left where the sprouts are. Crown material is where last year's stalk was cut off the tuber. The sprouts go up, and should be considerably thicker than roots. The tuber should be planted on its side.

As far as bringing them in goes, you're likely going to need to augment the sunlight to get blooms. A grow light would definitely help. Otherwise, you're likely to have a lot of foliage and few blooms.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Russ

o
RE: Plant Dahlias in containers now?

I will back up what Russ said. I grew my dahlias under lights since January till May. I had blooms in May. So yes Alice you can grow dahlias in doors. Make sure you use new lights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here