Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tubers or plants

Posted by pdshop 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 8:38

What is the best way to go for beautiful dahlias? Take the easy way and buy the plants from dealers or the harder way and buy tubers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tubers or plants

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 9:15

You can get more flowers for less $$$ with tubers. Most of the planted ones are only the short varieties. I prefer the 3-5 foot varieties covered with flowers. :)

o

Much less of a selection with plants than tubers. You can also buy dahlias shipped as rooted cuttings.

o

Bigcityal, what are root cuttings? when do I order from? for spring planting? where do I get them? I currently plant all my tubers in early May here in NH. The flowers finally arrive around August 1 or so. I am still waiting for some to bloom and this is Aug 23.

o

You order them in winter or spring and they ship when you are safe to plant them.

I still have some to open here too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corralitos

o

bigcityal,

Have you had better luck with cuttings than with the tubers? I've checked out that supplier's website earlier this year and do plan to try cuttings next year. Just wanted to get feedback from others who've tried before first though. Did you have any problems "hardening them off to the sun"? Did the plants perform better overall, compared to those of tubers?

o

I didn't have any problem with them hardening off, they will still start out kind of slow early in the year. The rest of my dahlias are from tubers that are started 6 weeks before planting outside. I don't have any problem with Corralitos, they might be better for people who have problems direct planting tubers or for varities only they carry.
This is one of theirs this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: sir alf ramsey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here