Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My beautiful dahlias

Posted by mirek 4 or 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 9:08

I very-very love my dahlias! I live in Minsk (Belarus, Eastern Europe).

I don't know how show images in this forum. I shall try to do it.

Mel's Morning Glow

Sentimental Reasons

And I want to discuss some growing secrets with other gardeners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some of my dahlias

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My beautiful dahlias

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 10:27

They are beautiful dahlias, mirek. I love my dahlias as well. Your secrets are working well for you.

What secrets do you wish to share with us?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is a dahlia hedge taken this morning. The ones at the front are magnificent, also.

o

Oh, thank You very much for quick answer!

Your dahlia hedge is magic! My hedge consist from one sorte 'Vuurvogel' (near 20 plants):
Vuurvogel-hedge

I try read all messages to know some agricultural methods, but my English not very well - I read slowly.

You (Canada, USA and others) have very rich dahlia traditions with societies and shows. It is my dream: to see one of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: My laciniated dahlias

o

A lovely collection you have Mirek. I especially like the Fubuki varieties, but they're all pretty. And your hedge of Vuurvogel is impressive!

JRoot, that photo is so inviting. Your hedge is amazing.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 1:37

Mirek, it is so enlightening to talk to fellow gardeners from "the other side of the world" about these beautiful flowers which we all love so much. Thanks for sharing with us your wonderful photos of your beautiful flowers.

My secret is to start them early inside, and gradually get the young plants acclimatized to the sun. When all danger of frost is past, then I plant them in a sunny location. I admit that I do feed them regularly with a fertilizer with a higher middle number to stimulate earlier blooming. I stop all fertilizing at least a month before frost comes in the autumn. Then they are carefully dug up, cleaned, dusted with a fungicide, labelled and wrapped, and finally put into my cold cellar with does NOT freeze for the winter.

What are your secrets?

o
RE: My beautiful dahlias - Secrets

Two of the best secrets of growing dahlias are to pinch out the tip of the main stem while the plants are still small. See: http://dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Topping/Topping_1.html

AND to disbud the flowering stems before the side stems overgrow or crowd into the single flower you want to keep. See: http://dahlias.net/dahwebpg/disbudding/disbud1.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here