Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to keep a dahlia until spring planting

Posted by mclem 7B NC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 25, 06 at 10:45

I bought a dahlia from the reduced-for-quick-sale buggy at the grocery store about a month ago. At that time it still had blooms, but I think the blooming has finished for the season. It's in a one-gallon container and I'm not sure of the proper way to store a dahlia until it gets planted.
It's not a dinner-plate dahlia. The bloom was about 2-inches in diameter and the flower was pale purple and white.

From my reading, I should plant it in the spring in NC. Some books suggest taking the plant out of the container and storing the bulb in newspaper or compost over winter. So I was wondering if keeping it in the original container would be the same as storing it in compost.

I don't have a garage or basement to overwinter, but I'm sure my Mom will let me keep in their garage next to her ferns. Parents also have a fabulous compost pile so I can overwinter it in the compost is necessary.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to keep a dahlia until spring planting

Take it out of the pot & plant it in the garden- just like you would any annual or perennial-- or you could plant the whole pot in the garden so you don't disturb the roots at this time of the growing cycle-- dead-head it, clean it up & & feed it & it'll come back & bloom for you until frost-- most dahlias are just starting to be at their best at this time of year & put on a spectacular showing in Sept. & on into Oct-- until frost. Then look at the forum again as I'm sure there will be plenty of advice on storing at that time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here