Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving From TN to MI

Posted by GreenEarthLawns none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 10:59

Hi everybody!

It looks like I'll be moving from Tennessee to Michigan sometime in mid-September. I'm looking for input on how to move my dahlia tubers (~60 total). I'm thinking of digging them up and cutting them back heavily, labeling them and putting them in a bin of damp peat moss for the journey. It'll probably be three to four days from the time of digging to replanting.

However, the first frost where I'll be moving to is sometime in late September to early October. That said, I'm thinking I should still replant them upon arriving and let them experience a killing frost to allow them to go dormant for the winter, as I'd imagine they'll still be in growth mode, but I'm not exactly sure on how to go about that, or if there is a better alternative. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving From TN to MI

Do not even think about re-planting them in the ground in Michigan. They will be ripe enough to store if you dig them about September 15th and would not benefit at all from being replanted. And the risk of a killing(kill the tubers too) frost is too high. It is a total myth that dahlias need a frost to go dormant for storage. They are plants native to the mountains in Central America where it does not frost and they go dormant there during the winter.

o

I had to dig mine early one year because I was leaving the country for three months. I think I dug them in early September, and stored them as I usually do with no real issues the next year.

o

Thanks for the thoughts, looks like I better get to work soon!

o

Michigan has great Dahlia societies and Fabulolus growers

Mid Michigan Midland has huge dahlia gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here