Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting question

Posted by pdshop 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 11:21

I have some stems that are more than six inches long. Then they come to some leaves with no laterals, they continue down past that to way down deep into the plant. Should I make the cut when I get to the first set of leaves? I would really like them to send out more laterals but it doesn't look like it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting question

Hi Pd. Cut below the leaves and above the next junction/leaf set. Strip off the leaves on your cutting flower and voila: longer stems. You can also pinch out the top set of new little laterals going down a particular branch (below the bud/s) and get a much longer stem that way. Or two sets for really long stems.

cut above next leaf set for new laterals

Even if you don't see laterals deep down into the plant, I bet they are there, waiting to emerge. On shorter plants, that might not be the case, I don't know.

o
RE: cutting question

thanks so much for the pictures. It is so much easier to tell me what I need to know. The top picture has me baffled on some of my dahlias. I want more flowers and I only have that top to work with which shows no laterals if I pinch that little area. I usually just let it go. I have some with very long stems, down into the main part of the plant. Leaves a big hole where I cut. I than take a little piece of a leaf branch and fill the hole. We have had tons of rain. Hopefully won't get root rot. The dahlias are great this year. I have found that some don't match the label which really annoys me. Anywhere there is a pink and yellow dahlia, it is an incorrect tuber.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here