Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lower Nitrogen in soil

Posted by pdshop 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 11:42

In my raised beds the dahlias came up all spindly. Leaves green as can be. What do I put in the beds to lower the N?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lower Nitrogen in soil

You sure its the N-surplus? How much sun do they get? Are weeds or other flowers very lush?
----
Good thing about N: quite often it is added as NO 3, Nitrate, which gets washed out by the rain and transported downwards very easily. So either just wait till next season and let the water do its job. Or to be on the safe side, plant/sow sunflowers that are heavy feeders, or plant cabbage, next season I reckon. And remove all plant parts in autumn, in order to remove all the N-stuff. Otherwise there is no quick fix aginst N that I can think of.

Any chance of a pick to get a better idea?

Well, good luck, bye, Lin

o

You keep asking the same question.

I have never heard of a way to lower nitrogen in the soil, other than time, and water. It does wash away. Adding other things will change the balance, but it wont lower nitrogen.

You said that last year your plants did really well. Did you do a lot of fertilizing with a heavy nitrogen fert this year?

You may need to just chalk this up to a learning experience. At this point in the season you shouldnt be doing any fertilizing at all. Next year just add some bone meal when you plant the tubers and stay away from the high nitrogen stuff.

o

Just because the leaves are dark green does not necessarily mean that the plants have too much nitrogen. Do they have overly long stems as this is symptom of too much nitrogen?
Perhaps the pH is wrong as dahlias do well at about 6.0 to 6.7 pH. When the pH is off the plants cannot take up fertilizer even when it is present and do not grow well. .

o

Yes, teddahlia, I do have long stems and huge leaves. I will water ot the raised beds at the end of the season. Pat

o

I would want to save the nitrogen for next year instead washing it away. In most areas it disappears over the winter. What was your source of the nitrogen?

o

OK, I will do that. In the Sprig I will try and find a 0-10-10 fertilizer. They are growing leaves and laterals like mad but we don't have the time. Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here