Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New bugs??

Posted by sturgeonguy 5a ON (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 12:24

I noticed these bugs on my Snowbound yesterday. Snowbound has just bloomed for the first time, not sure if this has anything to do with anything. It is amongst many other Dahlias, but none others show these little guys. There are also black ants right around the smaller bugs, possibly eating them?

Bugs-1

Bugs-2

Bugs

Anyone recognize them?

Cheers,
Russ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New bugs??

Don't you think they are aphids? Looks like them. I don't get the ant part. If they are squishy, I would say aphids.

o

FWIW, I'm not saying they aren't aphids, but I've never had aphids before. I thought aphids were green?

Cheers,
Russ

o

I would be tempted to say that pdshop is correct in those dastardly bugs being aphids. Usually green, they come in other colors such as black, brown, & pink. They can be distributed for miles by the wind. Ants use aphids as cows, milking them for their secretions. Ants are known to pick up and carry aphids to other plants.

o

Russ, I don't know what the heck those are but I had them on a few plants earlier in the season. I thought aphids were supposed to be smaller than that but anyway, I did get rid of them. I just blasted them with a water hose to dislodge them. Also used a product with an insecticide (imidacloprid) to mix and pour at the base of the plant. Haven't seen them since.

o

They're black aphids Russ, and very easily managed with a stream of water, like linht said. I use a forceful squirt from your basic spray bottle and that's the end of them. Without a spray bottle, place forefinger and thumb on opposite sides of stem and wipe em out. They're easy.

The ants have a symbiotic relationship with aphids, apparently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ants and aphids

o

Thanks folks!

Cheers,
Russ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here