Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fergal_jay

Somethings eating my Dahlia! Help

fergal_jay
15 years ago

Hi I bought a Dahlia plant from a flower show it is full of buds and looked great when I planted it it already had 2 slugs on it which I obviously got rid of.

Now something is eating holes in the petals, leaves and even the new buds.

What is it and what can I do! I love Dahlia's and really dont want all the bugs to eat it.

Comments (4)

• huey_ga
    15 years ago

I would look for more slugs hiding in the plant or just below the surface of the soil. Dig around a little and see if you can find them or surprise them with a flashlight visit during the night or before dawn. Slugs usually eat holes in the leaves and since you found others they may be the culprits.

Flea beetles will also eat holes in the leaves but I wouldn't think they would be active now. Cucumber beetles will eat holes but usually in the blooms.

If you can't find any more slugs then I would treat the plant with a little Sevendust of if organic is your preference try insecticidal soap. I wouldn't use Seven on the blooms as they could turn the petals brown and I have no experience with the other in that regard.

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

Fergal, slugs ...yes, they might, but do look for earwigs in your dahlias. Its definitely a probable. Earwigs and dahlias go together like .....the usual.

I'm always surprised when messages point out how they were able to take dahlia blooms inside to decorate their vases.
    I make a habit before they go in doors, they go in....water..upside down for a time that makes the bugs that are in there to come up for air. I'm surprised when a flower comes up without having an unwelcomed guest in it.

The usual trap should be part and parcel for earwigs---they like it damp and dark.

• devadoll
    15 years ago

I have something that is eating my Dahlias as well! This is during the day. It's blackish, crawls/walks slowly, but can fly pretty fast and makes a loud buzzing (flying) sound when it flies.

There were about 4-5 of them on one of my plants and insecticide doesn't seem to faze them at ALL... ARG! They have eaten so much into my plants that the limbs are breaking in addition to them simply eating the leaves.

• monica33flowers
    15 years ago

I had erewigs also that were eating my flowers.

Then once I got that under control the Japanese beetles came to eat on the buffet as well. I sprayed them with my soap and water solution but then the bloom would turn brown. So, on go the gardening gloves so I could squish them.....I hate squishing them but I love the flowers more. LOL.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County