Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pull Before Freezing?

Posted by pondicherry ID (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 12:56

We are leaving before the first frost, is there any recommended ways or suggestions to pull Dahlias before frost arrives?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pull Before Freezing?

We don't get a killing frost very early very often, so I'm out there cutting down plants in October every year unless it's a really spectacular late Fall and the blooms are still decent. Otherwise, I'd be out there digging in January.

Just cut the plants off leaving ample stalk to grab, wait several days to a week and dig them up for storage. I think your storage temperature should still be below 50 and above freezing though, if you can manage it.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 22:41

It is going down to 4C tonight here, so I have a lot of my dahlias covered for the night.

I will likely be digging my dahlias before the end of September this year, as I have some things going on which will require my attention in October. They can be dug and cleaned as per my other posts, with the only difference being that the eyes will not be so readily visible. That never worries me, as I usually start them in late March early April and they eye up quickly enough then.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dahlia/msg1016075928014.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Getting ready to store dahlias for winter

o

Brrrr Jroot! Time to break out the fleece! I hope you are enjoying the middle of your season as much as possible seeing it was somewhat shortened this year by Mother Nature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here