Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do some dahlia variety's tubers store better or are heartier?

Posted by HighlanderNorth none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 13:26

I was wondering whether some tubers from different dahlia varieties are likely to be tougher and less likely to rot or die in storage over winter?

Are some tubers better able to handle temperatures lower or higher than recommended?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do some dahlia variety's tubers store better or are heartier?

Yes, some do store better than others.

I wouldn't push the temperature limits. If you freeze them you'll lose them. If it's too warm they tend to rot.

o
storing dahlias/better choice/how too

yes, some do store better. I have been storeing them for about 5 yrs. I wait till first frost, if poss., I live zone 6. then I dig them up. cut off all green, I make a bucket of diluted insectcide last yr I used spectracide/triazicide concentrate.I wash them in this mixture to kill all poss. bugs ,lay them out to dry,layer them in old wine crates ,paper on bottom, mulch then put the tubers in box and cover w/ more mulch. tubers do not touch ea. other,label & put in basement. lightly water in jan. bring out to garage in may.lg. or dinner plate dahlias do best.also do this w/ calla lilly and four-o- clarks and canna.I have had good luck. this yr i'm going to try sulfur too. smaller ones i've tried did not rot or bloom. do not over water in winter,actually better not to water than over water. hope this helps.every yr. they get bigger and form babbies.mc1720161318099ec rosa abbystractkat@cox.net.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here