Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shallow flukey blooms

Posted by misslucinda 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 07 at 13:26

I divided my dinnerplates for the first time last fall and one of the offspring is delivering extremely sub-par small, flat blossoms which look more like stubby daisys. Disappointing to say the least!!

Anyone know what I did wrong or what I can now do to remedy the situation? This is only the second flower on the plant but I am not hopeful the other flowers will be different....

Advice greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shallow flukey blooms

If the plant grew from a tuber you divided, you did nothing wrong. Sometimes stock goes bad and there is no rhyme or reason for it. Is the plant getting enough sun? If everything is equal to last year, and it continues to bloom like this, I'd just pull the plant out. Hopefully you have other plants of this variety.

Teresa

o

Hi Teresa-

Yup. The plant is getting full sun and plenty of water. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't spray after dividing with lysol or dip in clorox. Who knows maybe theres something in the soil. Anyway, thanks for responding.

o

Hi misslucinda, I had a plant that started out just like you called it flukey blooms - daisy like. but the plant eventually outgrew it, I suspect the plant was a bit on the week side, at first, but surmounted it's difficulties for some reason. :)

Give it a bit of attention and see what the fall brings...

o

Thanks for the positive thoughts oxmyx! Hope you are right.

o

• Posted by ornata London UK (8/9?) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 8:15

I sometimes find that the first blooms will be disappointing, then the plant gets into its stride and subsequent blooms are much better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here