Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dinnerplate Dahlia

Posted by shadyindylady z5IN (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 14:38

I bought my first one this Spring at our Farmer's Market. It has been gorgeous and has put on a non-stop show. This
morning I found it laying on the ground....even though
staked it was too heavy and snapped at the bottom. It was
loaded with buds and I'm just sick. What do you folks
recommend for staking these giants? Also....when I dig up
the bulbs this Fall, how do I store them and in what? And...in the Spring should I just plant the bulbs directly in the ground or put them in a pot until they get a foot or
so tall? I'm in Zone 5. Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm just sick about this happening to my plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dinnerplate Dahlia

Sad to lose a plant despite your efforts at staking. I came home to find the first 'tipper' lying on the ground yesterday too. The large blooms tend to be heavy and, if wet from rain, even heavier. Add a gust of wind and it can be disaster. There are plenty of larger bushes or tall ones that get two stakes here- heavy duty metal posts to which I anchor the whole plant as it grows bigger. It also helps to encircle the plant with ties as high as you can to support the plant as it grows. This can be unsightly, but better looking than a prostrate plant.

There are plenty of posts on digging and storing- check back in about September/October from any year and you will find them. Or check the link for great information and photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Digging dahlias

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here