Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhdahlialover

NOT Kelvin Floodlight

nhdahlialover
14 years ago

This was one of my Wal-mart pickups this spring. I figured I would just get KF there instead of ordering it...Well, this isn't Kelvin Floodlight. Any thoughts as to who it may be? I do like it at least...

Thanks,

Katy

{{gwi:630054}}

Comments (8)

• Poochella
    14 years ago

See if the petals curve up quite a bit as it matures and maybe it will be Yellow Star- one commonly found in big stores, and one I'd gladly trade for. How big is your bloom across?
    Here's Yellow Star
    {{gwi:650262}}

I am hrrrumphing over Not Lilac Time and Not Hamari Gold from Lowe's this year. Not Purple Gem from Ednies. If you're going to take our money, at least give us what's on the label....... hrrumph.

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

It looks nice, but if you really want it to be what it says it is then you have to buy from a reputable dealer not from a big box store.

• teddahlia
    12 years ago

A picture is worth a thousand words. A picture with the diameter of the bloom is worth two thousand words. How big was the flower?

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

In that case, buying from club sales may not be considered reputable either? I have at least one surprise in my collection from a dahlia sale every year, sometimes 2 or 3. Last year was exceptionally disappointing. Was really looking forward to bringing Cyril Higgo back to my garden, and got Alfa Scir_____ (someone identified it for me.) The one I got wasn't a bad dahlia, but when you're looking for a bright red lasciniate that's a favorite, one doesn't enjoy the mistake. Sometimes though, the mistake is a good one! I thought I bought AC Firefly, a yellow/red varigate. Instead, got AC CJ, and I think I like it better, no . . . I'm pretty sure that I like it better! But next year will try for the Firefly again.

• honnat
    12 years ago

Do you have photos of AC CJ? I added it to my order with Accent and was curious. My decision was between that and "Hotshot" and I've been second guessing myself because I saw a couple hot shot blooms this summer that really shined.

• santiagorolland
    12 years ago

To me, this dahlia could well be Windhaven Highlight

Santiago Rolland

• highlandernorth
    12 years ago

I bought 7 dahlia tubers from Dan's Dahlias, a supposedly reputable grower/dealer, and 1/2 of the ones he sent me were not the ones I ordered!

Turns out, they were out of stock on some of their selection, even though it was early in the season, but instead of removing the out of stock choices from the list, he allowed people to order them anyway, then he just sent out less desirable replacement tubers without even an email beforehand.

Then, turns out that half were dead on arrival anyway!

• teddahlia
    12 years ago

"even though it was early in the season"
    What does that mean? Most of the dahlia vendors are very small operations and sell out on some varieties before January 1st. In some years, a particular variety may make very few tubers or worse, rot in storage before it can be shipped. I would email the people at Dan's and give them an opportunity to make things right. Many of the dahlia nurseries have been in business for a very long time and they would not be successful if they did not make things right with the customers.