Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a dahlia or a weed?

Posted by katscountrycritters none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 15:44

I have some beautiful dahlia plants that came back this year. One has grown a new plant even! However I have all these other plants coming up in a bed about 15 feet away, separated by grass. We do have lots of squirrels in our yard. So, these leaves look identical to my dahlia. Are they dahlias as well? Or just a weed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a dahlia or a weed?

This is my dahlia

o

Well, you're right that the leaves are the same. And I would say they are indeed the same plant, but are you sure your dahlia plant is in fact a dahlia? I've never seen a dahlia with leaves like that. Of course, I'm no expert, so maybe wait to see what others have to say about it.

It kind of resembles a hydrangea, but I wouldn't have guessed dahlia. Have you seen blooms on it yet?

o

I'm sorry, but those don't look anything like dahlia leaves to me. If you live in zone 6 or lower, chances are the cold killed it. I'm in zone 5/6, and I have to dig them up every winter. Even if you live in a warmer climate, lots of things could have done it in, like too much moisture. An overturned pot, extra mulch or digging them can help overwinter in the warmer areas.

o

Hi there,
going by the foliage, its shape and position on the stem,
it could be something from the Labiatae famili, like Coleus, Salvia or Perilla.
So, probably some weed, but my guess is not a very aggressive one. You could wait for flowers, that would make an ID much easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here