Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petals falling off dahlias

Posted by armaghrose (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 07 at 16:50

Can anyone help. My pompom dahlias are losing their petals for no apparent reason. Only one flower at a time is affected and the petals can all be lost in the space of a few hours. They are left in a neat little pile on the ground. The remaing part of the plant seems to be very wet once the petals have been lost.

I have looked in the flower while this is happening and cannot see any bugs. I dont think is is slugs or capsid bugs.

Any help/suggestions - gardener from Ireland?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petals falling off dahlias

How old are the blooms? The petals will drop off an old bloom just as you describe above, when they have aged beyond usefulness. I don't know of any illness or bug that would cause such a phenomenon, but I don't leave mine on the plant any longer than nearly ripe or ripe stage.
Could it just be age of the bloom?

o

Hi,

I dont think age is a problem as the oldest bloom isnt necessarily the one affected, but perfect blooms are. I am guessing that it happens when the bloom is about 10/14 days old (but I will start keeping a record of this).

I have four varieties of dahlias and the plants themselves are no more than 3/4 seasons old (tubers having been taken from older plants)and all are affected sporadically. It almost happens in front of my eyes. I have a beautiful cream dinner plate dahlia and it is heartbreaking to see one of the flowers end up as a pile of petals on the ground in the space of a few hours.

Thanks for you thoughts, much appreciated.

o

10-14 days is a long time to last on a plant. I have no other guesses other than age of bloom, but do commiserate with your pile o' petals falling before your eyes.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 12:23

MIne drop off also, after 4 or 5 days. This is perfectly normal. If yours are lasting 10-14 days, that is amazing. I agree with poochella on this one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here