Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyan_night

Blue Star Dahlia/Shared-purchase

Cyan_Night
18 years ago

Hello,

I am really interested in obtaining the Blue Star Dahlia. I found it on a website called Breck's. I tried to ask if they'd ship to Europe (even if they are shipping from Holland) they won't ship to Finland.

If anyone is from USA and is planning to buy the blue star dahlia...I'd be willing to purchase the tubers from you after they've splitted... I'd be happy with just one...I included the website so you can see what they look like...

http://brecks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_18259

Cyan_Night

Comments (10)

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

The color looks enhanced so that it appears to be blue. It is more likely a lavender shade. I do not believe that there are any true blue dahlias. Anyone else care to comment on this? Poochella, Willow ??

• Cyan_Night
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi GrannyMarsh,

Yep I was told that it would look more violety/purple than blue. It really looks pretty and would like to get it. I have the Arabian Night growing in a pot and also some Glads. I have too many maroon/deep red colored flowers that I wanted a change of shade and thought the blue star dahlia for next year would be great... :) I am also looking at one waterlily type dahlia. They are all so pretty that I don't know which one I want.

So if someone happens to have some spare tubers please please please think of me :).

p.s. I also have sunflowers growing in my balcony... I'll take a few pics if I can get my camera fixed

Cyan_Night :)

• plantlady2
    18 years ago

Beware of anyone advertising a "blue" dahlia! In order to get color in a bloom you must have the gene for that color present in the plant. There are NO blue genes in dahlias. Blue is a primary color & can't be mixed by combining any 2 or more other colors. So...unless someone does some fancy gene splitting & adding there will never be a true blue dahlia. Of course, if you have a decent photo-lab on your computer you can always make a dahlia blue & try to sell it to anyone out there who doesn't know that it won't be blue when they get it!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Plantlady I knew you'd pull through! I didn't have time to answer the NO BLUE DAHLIAS line before work this a.m.
    Even my 'Kari Blue' which I described as lavender with blue tones last year is alot more lavender this season than the bluish toned bloom I saw last year. It's still very pretty though.

• Cyan_Night
    Original Author
    18 years ago

:))) But I still want it lol ! It's pretty even if the pic was handled...I love purple dark purple flowers and blue flowers too. I have some forget-me-nots growing wild at my mum in law's cottage...They are truly blue...I'll try to take a pic of those when I get that darn camera fixed lololol...Thanks everyone...

Cyan

• Cyan_Night
    Original Author
    18 years ago

On another subject...maybe I should create another thread regarding it. I just read on the American Dahlia Society regarding Waterlily dahlia...Does it grow in a pond ? Or is it just the shape of the flower ? I have to google it to see them...I love waterlilies as well just don't know how to grow them... :)

Cyan

• Poochella
    18 years ago

It's the waterlily shape that gives them the name and they are most wonderful in bouquets.

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

It's a classification based on the shape.

Tervetuloa !!!

• Cyan_Night
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL LOL GrannyMarsh

Terve Terve ! :)

I think I am in love with the Dahlias !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyan

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

Can I impress you with the other 4 words that I know In Finn ?
    Good for you growing Dahlias in containers. I had to do this until this past year because of space restraints.. Where there is a will there is a way. Now I can grow as many as I want. Yippee !!!!