Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Star Dahlia/Shared-purchase

Posted by Cyan_Night (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 05 at 17:31

Hello,

I am really interested in obtaining the Blue Star Dahlia. I found it on a website called Breck's. I tried to ask if they'd ship to Europe (even if they are shipping from Holland) they won't ship to Finland.

If anyone is from USA and is planning to buy the blue star dahlia...I'd be willing to purchase the tubers from you after they've splitted... I'd be happy with just one...I included the website so you can see what they look like...

http://brecks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_18259

Cyan_Night

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Star Dahlia/Shared-purchase

The color looks enhanced so that it appears to be blue. It is more likely a lavender shade. I do not believe that there are any true blue dahlias. Anyone else care to comment on this? Poochella, Willow ??

o

Hi GrannyMarsh,

Yep I was told that it would look more violety/purple than blue. It really looks pretty and would like to get it. I have the Arabian Night growing in a pot and also some Glads. I have too many maroon/deep red colored flowers that I wanted a change of shade and thought the blue star dahlia for next year would be great... :) I am also looking at one waterlily type dahlia. They are all so pretty that I don't know which one I want.

So if someone happens to have some spare tubers please please please think of me :).

p.s. I also have sunflowers growing in my balcony... I'll take a few pics if I can get my camera fixed

Cyan_Night :)

o

Beware of anyone advertising a "blue" dahlia! In order to get color in a bloom you must have the gene for that color present in the plant. There are NO blue genes in dahlias. Blue is a primary color & can't be mixed by combining any 2 or more other colors. So...unless someone does some fancy gene splitting & adding there will never be a true blue dahlia. Of course, if you have a decent photo-lab on your computer you can always make a dahlia blue & try to sell it to anyone out there who doesn't know that it won't be blue when they get it!

o

Plantlady I knew you'd pull through! I didn't have time to answer the NO BLUE DAHLIAS line before work this a.m.
Even my 'Kari Blue' which I described as lavender with blue tones last year is alot more lavender this season than the bluish toned bloom I saw last year. It's still very pretty though.

o

:))) But I still want it lol ! It's pretty even if the pic was handled...I love purple dark purple flowers and blue flowers too. I have some forget-me-nots growing wild at my mum in law's cottage...They are truly blue...I'll try to take a pic of those when I get that darn camera fixed lololol...Thanks everyone...

Cyan

o

On another subject...maybe I should create another thread regarding it. I just read on the American Dahlia Society regarding Waterlily dahlia...Does it grow in a pond ? Or is it just the shape of the flower ? I have to google it to see them...I love waterlilies as well just don't know how to grow them... :)

Cyan

o

It's the waterlily shape that gives them the name and they are most wonderful in bouquets.

o

It's a classification based on the shape.

Tervetuloa !!!

o

LOL LOL GrannyMarsh

Terve Terve ! :)

I think I am in love with the Dahlias !!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyan

o

Can I impress you with the other 4 words that I know In Finn ?
Good for you growing Dahlias in containers. I had to do this until this past year because of space restraints.. Where there is a will there is a way. Now I can grow as many as I want. Yippee !!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here