First vaseful of the year

nhdahlialover
14 years ago

{{gwi:651035}}

{{gwi:651039}}

Comments (10)

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Gorgeous, now wasn't it worth the long winters wait? Steve in Baltimore County.

• monica33flowers
    14 years ago

They are beautiful! I have a pink one just like the one on the left of your picture and it is my favorite!

• mctavish6
    14 years ago

Really beautiful!

Is there a reason for having the walter halfway up the vase? I thought that keeping the vase full made the pressure of the water keep the stems more open. I think that was a Martha Stewart tip in general about cut flowers. I do notice that when I cut dahlias sometimes they last and sometimes they don't.

• nhdahlialover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! No reason for the vase only being half full - except for my impatience maybe!

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Lovely sight to behold. I'd like to see the pink-edged one facing the chair back in the first photo, but all are beautiful alone, and certainly as a group.

Do you know IDs on these beauties?

• nhdahlialover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think this is all of them. Most taken a few days earlier or different blooms than the ones in the vase. Sorry the pictures are so gigantic!

{{gwi:651043}} Crazy Love

{{gwi:651046}} Ruskin Diane? Maybe

{{gwi:651048}} Sweet Lorraine?

{{gwi:651049}} Nijinsky

{{gwi:651051}} Miss Molly

{{gwi:651053}} Moonstruck

{{gwi:651054}} Sweet Dreams

{{gwi:651055}} Foxy Lady

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Delicious! Were I an earwig, I'd dive right into them all. They are all beautiful. Foxy lady never looked that foxy here at all. Well done!

• anna_in_quebec
    14 years ago

Stunning - I am so jealous, and sad: my dahlias have yet to really get going.

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Anna did you get stuck with a cool season? We had that last year. Furnace on in August after our usual fleece-bearing June. Not so great for dahlias, but there are always some that pull through eventually.

We've had the best year out here in a long while and still, despite starting early, they are just coming into boom time right now. I think they have they're own schedule.

Crossing fingers for a late summer for you Quebequians.

• pdshop
    14 years ago

I guess it is time to do the birdbath again. I have some unusual colors this year.