Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fertilize now?

Posted by pdshop 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 18:20

I have 10 dahlias that have not bloomed yet. Can I give them some 10-50-10 Shultz or is that a bad thing to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fertilize now?

You did not say, so I have no idea if or when you have fertilized this growing season, so I would rather not comment. I have a set of instructions written by Swan Island Dahlias which I am willing to send to you if you send me your e-mail address. Please mention what you want me to send to you. I get a lot of spam, so I have set my filters very high, therefore I ask you to PLEASE put the word "GardenWebber" in the subject area to keep your e-mail to me out of my junk pile. THANK YOU.

o

The nitrogen amount of 10 is a little high for this time of year in your area. We always cut the nitrogen to 5 or less after the first of September here in the South so our blooms won't be spindly and the tubers rot during the winter. Also, too much nitrogen during the late season can keep the eyes from forming.

You might use it during this last week in August but after this week I would go to Mor-Bloom 0-10-10 (google it) and you can double the strength per gallon and make it 0-20-20 without any problems.

There are a couple of other blooming agents that work well and both have seaweed. Maxsea 3-20-20 (google to find it) and a new one Sea Grow 4-26-26 from Charley's Greenhouse.

These should get those plants blooming

o

Thanks so much. I think the nights have just gotten so much colder. I didn't do the Shultz. Will look into the 0-20-20 Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here