Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to protect Dahlia's?

Posted by grdn 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 18:43

I was hoping someone could provide me with information on how to protect my Dahlia's from severe weather. I live on the East Coast of Canada and it looks like Hurricane Bill will hit us this week-end.
I am not worried about most of my other plants as they have some shelter, but the Dahlia's are all out in the open. A few are in full bloom, with many others about to burst. I think they'll be able to take the rain, but it is the strong winds I am worried about. It would be a shame to lose them so late in our growing season here.
Can I put together some sort of temporary shelter over them? Any help is very much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to protect Dahlia's?

Hi grdn,
You are a wise and conscientious dahlia tender to be bracing for the storm. If we are going to have wind and wet, what I consider the biggest enemies to the dahlia aside from frost, I always cut what flowers I can't bear to lose that are close to fully open. Saves those blooms and lightens the weight on the plant branches for better wind resistance.

I make sure stakes are in very firmly, add taller ones immediately adjacent to existing stakes if needed, and cinch up all ties and add more if needed fairly high on the plant. Not so tight to strangle them or bend stalks/stems, but snugged up so they aren't susceptible to breakage by lashing winds and rains. This is where the inexpensive 1/2" plastic tape ties come in real handy.

Thankfully, we don't have such weather very often at all, but when it's expected, I'm out there tying like mad. Good luck and please let us know how you fare. I'll cross my fingers that Bill goes far out to sea to miss the entire east coast of North America.

o
RE: How to protect Dahlia's?

Thanks!
I have been staking like mad and putting potted plants in the shed. Again, a shame to have to cut the blooms, but it sounds like good advice to remove them.
Thanks again and keep your fingers crossed for us!
G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here