Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeg_gw

Photo of my poor Dahlia

deeg
16 years ago

This is my first attempt at growing a Dahlia. I've been growing it indoors since I planted it because of the awful heat here. It had 3 stems but I accidentally broke one off. I'm trying to root it (fingers crossed).

Anyhow, I don't want to plant it outdoors until it cools off some. I've been putting it outside for a couple of hours every day to get it used to it. But it seems to just wilt out there. I hope it's going to make it. By the way, it's a Mystery Day.

Here's the picture:

{{gwi:651218}}
By dgarrand, shot with PDRM5 at 2007-08-05

{{gwi:651619}}
By dgarrand, shot with PDRM5 at 2007-08-05

Any remarks, helpful hints, ideas?

Thanks!

Dee

Comments (8)

• jroot
    16 years ago

It is quite tall and spindley. That is a sign that it is not happy.
    1) dahlias NEED sun. They won't flower without it, and won't sprout the thick lush foliage without it.
    2) they need room for their roots (tubers) to grow. I think your pot may be too small. It would have been happier in the ground.

You may lose it, but I would likely cut off the stems to about the first 3 leaf nodes above ground; plant it outside in the garden ( well drained)where there is some protection from the direct sun, but it can get the light it needs and wants; and water it well. It may not bloom for you this year, but you might get some late blooms. You may be able to get some new tubers for next year. Next year, get it out as soon as you can after frost.

• deeg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you jroot. The news is very disheartening since I've been babying it for the last month or so.

It's REALLY HOT here right now. You don't think that will cause it to wilt and die faster, do you?

By the way, I did plant some in the ground in the early Spring (no worries of frost here), but they never came up. That's why I tried to grow them inside.

But I will do as you say and find a nice cool spot for them and plant them in it, then I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help!
    Dee

• rose_nutty
    16 years ago

Maybe you should consider covering it with an overturned laundry basket or placing a lawn chair over it for a few days after you have planted it to give it some shade and shelter from the beating overhead sun. I've done that with plants I'm trying to baby along, and it seems to really help them. Once new leaves have sprouted from the cut-off stem, you could remove the shade and let them have full sun.

• jroot
    16 years ago

Good advice, Rose

• deeg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Rose for the good advice! I'll search around for something that will fit over it.

And jroot, I have a question for you. You said to "cut off the stems to about the first 3 leaf nodes above ground". My problem is that all of the leaves are at the very top of the plant. If I cut that far, I'll be cutting all of it. Did I misunderstand you? Could you explain this for me? Here's a closer picture of the leaves. They didn't show up very well in the other one. There are two stems staked together which makes it a little harder to tell, but both stems are the same:

{{gwi:651621}}
    By dgarrand at 2007-08-07

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Dee

• jroot
    16 years ago

It is really hard to tell from the photo. Actually I am wondering if it is indeed a dahlia. I don't recognize the foliage, although as I say it is very difficult to see from the photo.

• deeg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's definitely a Dahlia. It's a Mystery Day. I still have the package it came in.

Dee

• jroot
    16 years ago

Sometimes as gardeners, we just have to cut our losses. I had several tubers which I planted this spring, and they just did not come up. I purchased a new one, planted it, and it still has not come, but a large week has come up in the same pot.

Some I planted in my hedge were supposed to be 4 foot dahlias but turned out to be barely 1 foot. They look strange next to their 4 foot sisters. LOL They will be planted next year at the front of the house, along with my other midget size dahlias. I also got another new one which my wife HATES, so it will become compost this fall. The soil makes a difference in the colour of the bloom to some extent.

Ah well, the joys of gardening.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living