Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Someone Identify Whats Eating My Dahlias?

Posted by cookie_ks 5ks (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 12, 06 at 19:48

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. Some type of insect is eating my dahlias. Either the edges of the leaves have turned black or the leaves are eaten off completely. Also the new growth at the tops of the plants are being eaten too. I have not seen any kind of insect although I have looked several times both on the stem and under the leaves. I have been spraying with Malathion?sp but whatever it is must love it and just keeps on eating. Out of 15 plants only one has blooms on it and it seems to be the only one this pest doesn't like to eat! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would attach a photo but I don't see where I can do that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Someone Identify Whats Eating My Dahlias?

Earwigs. At the first sign of problem, this pest is number one on the list.

Try this; put a short lenght of hose...about 12 to 18 inches in the vicinity of the plants. Early in the a.m. go out with a bucket of soapy water, lift the hose and tap it over the soap. See what falls out.

Earwigs is the one big reason why I never try to take dahlia inside, they are a beggar since they hide in amongs the petals.

The earwigs like it moist and munch at night, but hide during daylight hours. Trying to see them during the day is pretty well impossible.

Another method if you dont have a handy hose to destroy....roll up a newspaper section....place it in the vicinity and dampen it. In the morning, go out and collect your newspaper.

Sometimes too, just like catching slugs and snails, lay a board....about 6" wide...12" long near the plants. In the early morning, peek under it. They're fast movers so be prepared.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here