Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Burpee 'Zinnia' seeds mislabelled, dont look right..

highlandernorth
12 years ago

Sorry, but I didnt see any place else for Zinnias on this forum, and the 'grow from seed' forum area doesnt seem to get many visitors, so this is the closest thing I could find...

Anyway, I grew Zinnias from seed for the first time this year, and I bought them from Burpee.

The package said "Huge, double 5" blooms, 30 inch plants, multiple colors". Well....... The pictures show Zinnias that have extremely thick flowers with LOTS of petals. The first 2 plants have opened about 5 days ago, and they are different colors, white and dark red/burgundy, but they are only 1.5 inches to 2 inches in diameter, and they only have 1 row of about 16 petals, with space between the petals.

It wouldnt be so bad if they were like 6-8" tall plants, but they are growing as high as 36", and a 30-36" plant with 1.5"-2" flowers that are very thin looks almost silly!

Plus, the colors aren't correct according to the pictures, as the pics show flowers of almost pastel colors.

I was really happy with the way they had grown too, as they came up in 3-4 days, and were super easy to grow, but now I'm disappointed.......

Anyone else have problems with Burpee or any other seeds not producing the types or varieties that they were labeled to be?

Comments (3)