Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilting dahlia

Posted by peachguy Zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 20:35

Hi everyone I am new to Dahlias this year and so far I have been doing pretty well. I have about 5 plants, all different varieties. The question i have is considering my Akita, I got it from a big box store and when it sprouted it was very weak and leggy. But once it got into ground it took off, all of my dahlia took off considering the drought like weather we have been having since late spring. It has wilted a few times through out the season but I attributed this to the drought and it perked up when i watered it, then we got much needed rains which lasted a few days on and off. Then the first sunny day since the rains my Akita wilted badly, the worst I have ever seen a plant wilt, then by the evening it perked back up. This keeps happening it will wilt during morning and early afternoon then recover that evening. the location it is in get sun from 7 am to 2 pm. I thought the wilting could be from to little water but now that it is in this cycle i think it is something else but I don't what. Oh yes and it has buds on it and they do fine as well and are almost open. sorry for the long description i just wanted to explain it well

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilting dahlia

If you're having hot summer days, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable and normal dahlia to me. The key is that it rebounds, formed buds and they're almost open. I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep it watered once or twice weekly, fertilize as you see fit and enjoy. When they wilt and stay wilted, that's a real problem.

o
RE: Wilting dahlia

Thank you very much i will just leave it been and water it regularly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here