Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to divide?

Posted by dahliadreams 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 21:48

When should I divide my dahlia tubors? In the fall when I dig them? Or should I store the entire mass of tubors and divide them in the spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to divide?

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 12:14

I do both. Obvious divisions can be done in the fall. Some of the more subtle ones are easier to do in the spring when the eyes become really visible, that might not have been visible in the fall.

... just my two cents worth.

o
RE: when to divide?

I think one of the key things to dividing is having visible eyes...knowing which tubers are duds and which will produce a new flower.

Last year I lifted my tuber clumps shortly after cutting the stems, which meant I had not left them in to allow the eyes to form. When I divided my tubers I had nothing to go on, and many of them ended up not propagating (my fault!)

Everything I've read says to cut the stalks and then leave the clump in the ground for a week or two, depending on frost conditions. You may want to cover the ground with straw or some other means of keeping the tubers from freezing while this eyeing up occurs, or, heaven forbid, cut the stalks sooner...(I wouldn't!)

If you can't leave them in the ground to eye up, then I would make as few divisions as possible in the fall. Divide only to make them manageable in storage, and ensure you don't have any soil left in the clump so as to avoid rotting. Then you can make further divisions in the spring once you've brought them out and they eye up.

Cheers,
Russ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here