Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

More new additions this year

mctavish6
14 years ago

This picture is of Imperial Wine and Audry Grace. The color is better than on the individual pictures. Why is is that the red's are so hard to get right?

{{gwi:652320}}

{{gwi:652321}}

{{gwi:652322}}

{{gwi:652323}}

{{gwi:652324}}

{{gwi:652325}}

The crazy Grandma's Lemon Pie. I kind of like it. The newer blooms are fine.

{{gwi:652327}}

{{gwi:652328}}

{{gwi:652330}}

Another Red that's hard to capture. What do you folks do about grasshoppers?

{{gwi:652331}}

{{gwi:652332}}

Pink is not my favourite color but this one is just adorable. It looks like the picture which I like.

{{gwi:652333}}

{{gwi:652334}}

Love the color on this one.

{{gwi:652335}}

{{gwi:652336}}

This is just starting to open today.

Comments (16)

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Lovely, lovelies. Who had the audacity to poop on Golden Egg? Such a rich gold, it deserves better.... I love them all! Purples and reds are hardest to get right by camera, it seems, but only you know the true color and they look just fine from here.

I received some tubers labelled Summer Morn this year, but there is no dahlia by that name so now I'm crossing my fingers that they're really September Morn. Beautiful array there Mactavish.

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Yes, a friend in Colville sent me one labeled Summer Morn. Will let you know color when it blooms. Also take picture so later
    I can post. Steve in Baltimore County.

• vikingcraftsman
    14 years ago

Just wonderful. And Polarbear say's high to your cat.

• anna_in_quebec
    14 years ago

Gorgeous!! My dahlias are only just starting - so much rain and gloomy weather this year, but a heat wave is coming up with lots of sun, so, hopefully buds will start popping. Lovely pictures - and I missed the kitty - I always spot them first!

• pdshop
    14 years ago

Grandma's Lemon Pie is outrageous. I must get that next year. They are beautiful.

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. Maybe the poop on the Golden Egg is from the Grasshopper? They are sure around nibbling the petals.

The September Morn is really very pretty. The vendor at one of the 3 places I bought tuber from at NW Plant show sort of talked me into it. I'm glad he did.

Elsa (and the rest) say hi to Polarbear. I recently posted on all three hosta forums about our experience with Robins nesting in a FAKE Christmas tree in back of the garage. If you are interested search for "For the Birds".

Anna, it's hardly possible for me to take a picture without a cat in it. They seem to follow me around and pose.

pdshop, I'm liking that Grandma's Lemon Pie too. It reminds me of a small version of Lemon Meringue Pie which is a lot larger but also georgeous. I posted pictures of it last fall.

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful! I do not even have a bud yet. I potted all mine. I love September Morn. Am I right in reading that there isn't a dahlia by that name anymore available? I wanted to add it to my list.

• Poochella
    14 years ago

proudgm, I hope you get buds soon enough. There IS a gorgeous dahlia named September Morn as seen above, but "Summer Morn" is the one in question. It's not listed on the big list, and a search for it doesn't turn up a thing. So it's either a created name or misnamed along the way somehow.

There are all kind of "Summer" named dahlias on the big list, just scroll down at the link, just no Summer Morn. One of mine is budding up well well it won't be long...

Oscar/Steve is that Colville WA your dahlia came from? I hear it's a beautiful part of the state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big List O' Dahlias

• Poochella
    14 years ago

In the hottest heat this area has seen on record, I heard two fluttering, clicking noises and was suprised to see grasshoppers gracelessly plop in the yard or neighbor's pasture. They are so rare, I don't know what people with a higher population do with/to them. Dip in chocolate?

Really like Fuzzy Wuzzy and that is one cute dahlia I cannot get to survive here. You're lucky to have it.

• annabeth
    14 years ago

September Morn and Fuzzy Wuzzy were new additions to me this year too. So far I am really liking September Morn a lot. I'm a little fuzzy on my Fuzzy Wuzzy though--my one bloom so far looked nothing like yours. Mine was all pink with no white tips at all. It was misshapen too. Now I am awaiting more buds to open. I hope my next ones get the white tips.

My September Morn looks similar to yours but yours looks healthier. Although I do like my September Morn, I will say that my she opens up fast to show her pollen disc (shameless hussy). I didn't like that attribute at first but now I am getting to like it more and more. Does yours open up like this?
    {{gwi:652339}}

Poochella, be sure to share some pics of yours when she opens!

Good job on the pics, mctavish6, and keep them coming. Thanks.

Annabeth

• vikingcraftsman
    14 years ago

Lovly Annbeth thanks for sharing.

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Lovely colors. Now I really can't wait for mine to open to see if it is September Morn or not. I don't care for the open centers so much, but the colors on that bloom make up for it. How long does it take for the shameless hussies to show their pollen discs? Maybe the bloom is just aging, though it doesn't look it.

Hope your Fuzzy Wuzzy blooms straighten out. Sometimes they are so different from the expected and no easy answers as to why.

• Poochella
    14 years ago

The first bud on "Summer Morn" is showing very bright pink like your petal tips above, Annabeth. I'm crossing my fingers that it's true name is September Morn and it's half as beautiful as your two.

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Poochella

• plantlady2008
    14 years ago

What??!!- oscarthecat/Steve in Baltimore County-- you're going to be in WA & NOT come & see us!!!!! ARGH!!!!

• Poochella
    14 years ago

I always wondered how one pronounces "Chewelah."

A mere 144 miles separates Wenatchee from Plantlady's acres of dahlias. What's 3 hours? It's a beautiful drive and destination.

Cory, I bet you're busy readying for the National Show Tours. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get there this year but will look for forthcoming photos online, for sure.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm