Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptpulley

Please help me ID this dahlia

ptpulley
11 years ago

Does anybody know the name of this dahlia? It's a rather short plant compared to most of my other dahlias. It's a laciniated form that's mostly white on the inside with a nice purplish lavender on the ends of the petals. I bought it a couple of years ago (maybe from Connell's?), but I can't remember what it was called! I will know the name when I see it, I think. Thanks to anyone with any ideas!!

Comments (19)

• davidinsf
    11 years ago

Does AC Magick ring a bell? Or Sorbet? Glenbank Twinkle? Oreti Stacy?

I've read that reds and purples are the hardest colors for vendors to reproduce pictures for - so on the chance your pic is just a little different, google Accent Dahlias "AC Magick". Also look at their 'Sorbet'(more of a red than purple though and a semi cactus, not lac).

Twinkle and Stacy you can see on Elden Gardens site.

I looked at 'Les' Connells site and didn't see anything looking like yours.

• ptpulley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

David,
    Thanks so much for all the effort here. None of those sound familiar. I have also checked out the Connells sites, and I have looked through a couple of older catalogs to see if I could jog my memory. Maybe I picked it up at a sale someplace else, or maybe from Seatac Gardens. I haven't ever ordered from Elden. The picture I posted is pretty accurate for the color. It's just beautiful.

I will google your suggestions and see if they match up. I may also take one to Seatac and see if he can ID from his lineup.

• columbia345
    11 years ago

Could it be " Orchid Lace" from Swan Island Dalias?

• ptpulley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's sure similar, but I don't think it's the thing. Mine has laciniated tips, and a little more color than Orchid Lace. Thanks for the input!

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

I wonder if it could be one of the "Mel's" originations. Connells uused to sell alot of lacinated ones and many had the prefix "Mel's". Les COnnell works more with his own breeding of dahlias and new introductons from across the world then his old family business used to, carrying just a handful of the old Connell's dahlias. I miss that autumn open garden at the old Connell's!

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

Take a look at the Pineland's Princess in Vikings letter next down the list. Any possibility that is it? I am pretty sure Connells used to carry this one.

• ptpulley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lizalily, It's not Pinelands Princess-- I used to grow that one. The blooms were smaller than this one, and much denser. I am so irritated at myself over this one. I may have gotten it at Seatac Gardens. I think I will run over there and ask him if it's one of his. Or maybe I just picked it up someplace because I thought it was so pretty. Thanks for the suggestion though!!

• davidinsf
    11 years ago

It DOES look very similar to SeaTacs HAYLEY JANE but theirs do not seem to be laciniated.

• ptpulley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm... I'll have to ask him about Hayley Jane, but the name doesn't sound familiar to me. But then, my kids say I forget everything, so who knows? ;0)

• davidinsf
    11 years ago

Another long shot because their pic shows a more lavender color but I came across "Angela Dodi" on Cowlitz River site. VERY laciniated, B size, though on a 4' plant. Ring a bell?

I hope if you find the name you post it cuz I might take a flyer on it myself. It is one beautiful color!

• davidinsf
    11 years ago

Badger twinkle? (A darker relative of glenbank twinkle.) Or the rarely seen "Popular Quest"? Higgo Wonder? Anna Mari?

(I'm determined to find this dahlia!)

Incidentally, you can see hundreds of dahlias classified by type (Lacinated, etc), color and size on dahlia.org. I looked at all 300 LC types but you might just scan the names to see if one pops out at you. The problem (for me) is that maybe your dahlias is white/drkpink and not white/purple. Or maybe white/lavendar. So I may be looking for the wrong thing. They have many with pics but many are not and when I googled those, often there was NO listing for such a dahlia. Go figure...

• mytime
    11 years ago

davidinsf...did you mean 'Popular Guest'? I think you might have it, because it really looks like the pic on the package that I am holding right now. I took a pic of my so-called Popular Guest a couple of days ago, and actually went back out in the rain to check my labeling, because it doesn't look like any picture I find online. And what is blooming is not what I think I would choose to buy...it's "not me". Since you mentioned it, I went out to the garden shed and rummaged around and found the package...yup, mine looks nothing like the package. Wonder what mine is?

• davidinsf
    11 years ago

The one I wrote about could have been Guest and not quest. But looking at your pic versus PT's - it doesn't seem the same color or type. Your dahlia may be an inverted or semi cactus but does not appear to be lacinated as PT's is. I really think PT's pulls more toward pink than purple and I have been looking for purple/lavendar on white and not pink on white.

As I order and grow more dahlias every year, I am getting amazed at the differences between what you order and what you get. I had bought a pair of Nonettes and what I got was a crazy red/yellow mess (that I cannot ID) instead. One of them gave me two large blooms and that was it for that plant - the other is currently open with 2 blooms also and it has no other buds either. I've never seen a dahlia grow only 2 flowers and stop before. I also ordered Edge of Joy and got Northwest Cosmos instead.

It's a jungle out there!

• mytime
    11 years ago

The link below is the exact picture (I went to the trouble of taking a pic of my package and then found this online already) on my package. Obviously, as you say, it is a different form and color from what I have. I think if you lighten up the picture a bit, it looks quite a lot like the OP's.

Here is a link that might be useful: label on my package

• ptpulley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

davidinsf, thanks for the suggestions and for the great site. I have browsed through all the items there and don't see anything that jogs my memory. You might be right about the color too-- mine might be considered kind of magenta rather than purple.

I'll keep looking, and I will post here if I figure it out!

• ptpulley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mytime, you're right-- that photo on the package of Popular Guest does look a lot like mine. I have no idea where I would have gotten that, and the name doesn't ring a bell for me, but it is more like what I have than anything else I've seen. (More like mine than what you ended up with!!) Very interesting...

• davidinsf
    11 years ago

What about Tanjoh? From Swan Island. Though not lacinated, does look a LOT like yours.

• ptpulley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tanjoh is definitely the right colors, but not quite the same bloom.

I went to Seatac Gardens today with a flower, hoping he might be able to id, but he didn't know it. All I can guess is that I got a mismarked package from someplace. Such a puzzle!

davidinsf: I know you said you might want to try this one next year. I only have one plant, and want to grow two of them next year, but if I get more than two tubers off this plant, I'd be glad to send you one. I don't dig in the fall though. I live very close to the water, so it's very temperate here, and I leave my dahlias in the ground all winter. I pull them in the spring, divide, and put them right back. PM me if you are interested in waiting.

• columbia345
    10 years ago

Could it be 'Marlene Joy' from Dan's Dahlias, Oakville, WA? "Very showy, blooms with white petals tipped in hot pink."