Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally Some Photos...

Posted by honnat 4 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 0:41

It's been a late and somewhat frustrating Dahlia season for me. Still going to be more blooms coming as long as we don't get (another) frost!

AC Ben - Biggest Bloom of the season so far. HUGE strong stems. I had to cut this off with a tree branch trimmer!

Dahlia - AC Ben

Dr. John E. Kaiser - Great dark green foliage with bright wild blooms.
Dahlia -  DR John E Kaiser

Hillcrest Jake - Short plant for me. Really nice blooms. I just wish I could capture the true red in my photos - it's much better in person.
Dahlia - Hillcrest Jake

Keith H - Nice Waterlily
Dahlia - Keith H

Ms Kennedy - Miniature ball
Dahlia - Ms Kennedy

Pam Howden - First year growing this one; and I haven't gotten the hang of it. Weird stems, bugs....lots of issues...but not a bad one here (just ignore all the chew marks...
Dahlia - Pam Howden

Taratahi Glo - LATE bloomer for me; and finicky in hot weather. It was much more red for me last year.
Dahlia - Taratahi Glo

Tahoma Vivian - EARLY blooms and nice long stems.
Dahlia - Tahoma Vivian

Verrone's Sandra J - Massive plant with cool blooms.
Dahlia - Verrone's Sandra J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally Some Photos...

Oh My ! Such beautiful flowers. You are to be congratulated. Steve in Stevens County.

o

Wow! You have some very beautiful dahlias. I'm guessing you have a thing for orange/red varieties? I really like the AC Ben and Verrone's Sandra J. How big is that AC Ben?

I need to get some more orange in my garden. Seems like I always buy the pink/purple ones. I think orange is a great color for fall blooms. I will have to keep those two in mind.

Thanks for posting!
Linda

o

Thanks for looking!
The AC Ben got to be about 11 inches. It's more peach in person. The photo makes it look orange. I decided last year that I needed more 'pop' in my dahlias and went for the bold reds and oranges in picking new ones. I do have some others coming that are more yellow & purple.
If you are going to grow Verrone's SJ, give it some room. It really gets large. It's a fun one to grow because it shoots up so fast.

o

I am in love with that Keith H. Waterlilly. I have just begun looking at the waterlily blooms - the shapes are so elegant, and the color on that one is beautiful. The J. Kaiser is new for me this year and has probably been my favorite plant this year.

It is frustrating when they are so late in the season, especially with the early frosts we are getting this year. But isn't it wonderful to have that intensity of color when every thing else in the yard is beginning to fade?

o

Beautiful, Beautiful! I only have Sandra and Pam Howden of those and poor Pammy is really having trouble with bugs eating her petals this summer for me also. But when she gets what she wants she can be so beautiful! Sandra is a real favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing your photos!

o

Luv the first two the most. Beautiful colors!! Luv em! Judy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here