Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rowansmom_1029

very late or very early dahlia varieties?

rowansmom_1029
16 years ago

Hi there dahlia lovers,

Great forum! I am fairly new to dahlias -- I have grown maybe 8 plants over the last three years. This year, I am getting more serious about it and doing reading on the varieties etc.

I have three new plants and they are all doing well (Andrie's Orange, Winsome, and Thomas Edison). I am lucky to live where I do (Willamette Valley) because I can leave my dahlias in the ground over winter (at least I have so far). I put compost/manure in the hole, as well as some small, sharp gravel since my soil is pretty heavy (clay). And some bone meal. But so far I haven't fertilized during the growing season. I think I should, though, just for better and more bloooms.

Mine start blooming in late July (mid?) and really get going in August, lasting through October (if my memory is correct). But, I really want to extend the bloom season because I am thinking of someday selling cut flowers. I don't have the land now, but I am "doing research" in my garden that I have now!

I know there are "early" and "late" dahlias (at least according to Swan Island Dahlias (I live close by). But does anyone know if some varieties are VERY early or VERY late?

Thanks ahead of time!

Oh, I like medium-sized dahlias. Waterlily is my favorite type, but others are fine, too. Long stems and a pretty, classy form and color are what I am looking for.

Comment (1)

• dahliaboy
    16 years ago

Rowansmom:
    Boy do I wish I lived out in OR....the heart of dahlia country! I would suggest you go to Swan Island
    and talk to the Gitts who run the place. They are a wealth of knowledge on dahlias and can, I'm sure, answer all of your questions. In addition, I would join the Portland Dahlia Society. There you would have access to many experienced growers who could also assist you.
    Good Luck,
    DahliaBoy