Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mytime_gw

Megastar

mytime
11 years ago

Ignore the missing petal tips and the holes in the petals...I can't look at anything in the garden this week without finding slugs crawling all over it. Anyway, I'm posting this pic to show the variability in Megastar blooms on the same plant. A 2nd Megastar has had one bloom almost totally white. This isn't fading from sun, either (we haven't had any!). They open this way.

Comments (13)

• mytime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, apparently I forgot the pic. Here it is.

• vikingcraftsman
    11 years ago

I am out side at night at least twice a night with my flashlight and my amoina and water bottle. Sam knows what lets kill slugs means.

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

Is there any way you could keep a few ducks where you live? I think Ducks and dahlias are a great combination! Mine have free access to my dahlias garden and keep the slugs down real well. You probably know that Western Washington is Slug Heaven. Well, very little slug activity now in mine. I still have ear wigs and leaf hoppers, but the plants grow unmolested from the ground. I do still prestart mine through to get a jump on our gray, cool weather. and get them big enough the ducks won't accidently sit down on them. Not sure what cold temps a duck can take in the winter.....It might we worth it to get ducklings in the spring and keep them through the summer. Fewer slugs mean fewer slug eggs laid to hatch.

• mytime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good idea, lizalily, but won't work for me. For starters, the last thing I need in my life right now is one more thing to care for...LOL.
    I do know about WA and slugs...yours are waaay bigger than ours. I don't understand how tiny ones like ours can do so much damage! BTW, my DIL has lived in western WA, but now lives down the road from me. She was commenting this past week on how she never saw so many even when she lived in WA.

• vikingcraftsman
    11 years ago

I guess me moving in with you so you can take care of me is out of the question. LOL

• addicted2dahlias
    11 years ago

Mytime, a similar thing happened to me last year, only I don't know the name of my dahlia. My first bloom is shown below, but the 2nd bud looks like it will be the dark rosy color that appears on the tips of the petals. I loved this one last year because I never knew what I was going to get. Sure wish I knew its name!

• vikingcraftsman
    11 years ago

Yes I wish you knew the name also. I like the look of that.

• mytime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Addicted, that's really a pretty one. I need to quit visiting this forum...too many "ooh, I want that one, too" flowers.

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

Oh My! What a fun dahlia! Yes, I want it too! Hope someone can come up with the name!

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

Oh My! What a fun dahlia! Yes, I want it too! Hope someone can come up with the name!

• mytime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Amazing! That looks like it! what's amazing is that I started it too late and it didn't bloom in time before our first frost, so I'll have to wait until next year to see it. The picture I bought from (a local grower who actually uses pics of his own flowers) shows more red and yellow, way less white, so I didn't even begin to recognize it.

Here is a link that might be useful: local pic of C.F.

• mytime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wasn't very clear in my above post...I meant I bought Caribbean Fantasy this year but it didn't bloom.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor