Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with this? Sport of Riverdance

Posted by poochella 7/ WEST WA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 11, 06 at 2:09

Here's a normal red Riverdance anemone from 2005

And here is what I found on a Riverdance plant this year. Just a few specks of red, one thin red stripe on the yellow version.

Blurry version of the yellow blossom showing the red stripe.

The plant with both reds and the yellow version growing.

My question is: can I do anything with the seeds off the yellow blossom, or cuttings off that branch to try and propagate that color? How would I go about taking a cutting off a mature branch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with this? Sport of Riverdance

Are there side branches or tips that you can let grow to 3 leaf nodes? If so, take a tip cutting just like you would do in spring, pot it up, winter it over as an indoor plant, plant it out in the spring & hope the sport stayed true. Seeds won't be true but if you collect some & plant them in the spring you might come up with some interesting other blooms.

o

Thanks, Plantlady. I'm assuming the side branches would have to come off the same branch the yellow bloom is on, right?
I'll check this aft when I go water, if I water. So far no new blooms on that plant to check but I'm watching like a cat with a cornered mouse...LOL.

Speaking of, thanks to your earlier advice ole Poochella has three cuttings that have bloomed to date and more on the way. I had a great number that rooted, took them upstairs for more heat only to have them mowed down like a salad bar by the cats! Think I should adopt dahlias instead of animals....

So thank you on two counts! I'll post if anything happens with the sport.

o

WOW! I love the yellow sport of Riverdance!

My Ducks decided they loved dahlias and ate all the red ones I planted into my red garden! I have Fire and Ice coming back ,now that the ducks have been in a different garden for 2 weeks and I hope the one behind it is Riverdance.

o

Yes, you have to take the cutting from the sported branch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here