Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to dig up my dahlia roots (tubers)?

Posted by ladybugsmom192 9 - SF East Bay (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 2:25

hi there!

i'm new to dahlias and am so proud of myself for starting all mine from seed this year! every last one i started survived. some are a little spindly, but are big and bushy, but again, i'm new and am learning.

so, with that said, when should i dig up the tubers (roots) to store away for winter, and how do i do it?

i'm in the san fransico bay area, the east bay, which is warmer on average then the city, and i'm on san pablo bay. powdery mildew has been a very small problem, but not really.

so i'd love to hear your recommendations!

thanks,

angela :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to dig up my dahlia roots (tubers)?

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 18:15

If you're truly zone 9, I don't believe you have to dig them (lucky you!).

o

oh really???! so what, just trim the stems/stalks down? what if i want to move them to another area? which i want to do because they grew much MUCH taller than i thought (they were supposed to be 'boarder' dahlias and actually grew to 2-3 feet tall and towered over my princess lillies, which got very little light this summer.

thanks!

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 20, 11 at 14:07

For that you need more than what I know!!!

On the link, scroll down to "Leaving dahlias in the ground over winter".

Here is a link that might be useful: info for dahlias

o

Dear ladybugsmon192: I raise dahlias in Marin county, Ca. Dig
them up in early Jan. That way you can see how many more
tubers you have of each variety and the joy of the "free" expansion of your tubers is exhilarating. Be sure to label them as quickly as possible as an unlabeled tuber is a "weed". How to divide tubers is shown in pics on the internet and you have to see how its done once and then you are off.
Join a local dahlia society and you will have all the expertise you need at your fingertips. They probably have a
local "dahlia" dell that they maintain and you can volunteer
as much or as little as you want to gain experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here