Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlady2008

Pictures of Whatcom Dahlia Society Show

plantlady2008
15 years ago

The Whatcom County Dahlia Society had it's show this weekend. Our daughter entered her first show & a new generation was addicted! Here she is with her entries.

{{gwi:653392}}

She did an arrangement with Wyn's Eeekk!! & got a first place on it!

{{gwi:653393}}

here she is with Walt & her entries. She got a bunch of blues, a couple of reds & 2 Best of Types on her entreis. Not bad for a novice in her first show.

{{gwi:653394}}

We won the Bob Simon trophy with Taum Sauk- it's for the best Bob Simon origination in the show. On the right of the picture - the 2 yellow dahlias are 2 of our seedlings & the bronze dahlia is a Bob Simon introduction called Bonaventure.

{{gwi:653395}}

This was an entry of Clyde's Choice by Paul & Cheryl Howard. They won Best Triple AA - these were HUGE!!

{{gwi:653397}}

This is just a few of the dahlias on the AA table. This was when we first started entering - by the time the show started there was lots more entries on the table.

{{gwi:653400}}

Our seedling Wyn's Sleepyhead won a Best of Type & a first in both the single entry & triple entry. Last weekend at Vancouver it was on the head table as Best A triple in show.

{{gwi:653402}}

And finally- until I can upload a few more pictures from the show-- these are some of the ones that we left at home- I did an arrangement for the table - clockwise from the left-- Wyn's Feisty Freda, two Wyn's Farmer John, Wyn's Moonlight Sonata, one of our seedlings & Wyn's Highlighter.

{{gwi:653404}}

Comments (12)

• pdshop
    15 years ago

Wow! You have the colors I love. I am wondering what medium you put the dahlia into as I was going to take some to a friend.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Outstanding

• plantlady2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pdshop- we use green shredded florist foam to stage in. Pack it in really tight then thump a hole down the center to put the stems in, then firm it up around the stems. Oh, yes-- & don't forget to put water in the container before putting the stem in! Some clubs use the white foam. You can get it from most florists, but since I have a flower shop business I get it from a floral wholesaler. For the really big blooms I put the shredded foam in the bottom then use some Oasis wedged in the container sideways to hold the stems well & then cover the Oasis with more shredded foam. If I'm taking blooms to a friend I just put them in water in a bucket or vase- they last longer if they're not in Oasis or foam.

• SueBB
    15 years ago

Congratulations, the pic's are great. I attended that show and it was super. Love all your dahlias, so hard to pick just a few to grow for myself.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Grow all of them.

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Really amazing!

Cheers,
    Russ

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Splendid stuff as usual, Cory. Congratulations on your beautiful daughter's successful launch into dahlia showing and on your Bob Simon award. Beautiful flowers all over the place!

I like the looks of Wyn's Sleepyhead. Fiesty Freda has won my personal vote for rich purples/pinks this year. She's super!

• plantlady2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Poochella- Glad to hear that Freda is doing her job- we really love the color of her, too. Too bad that the camera doesn't pick up the really rich colors in the dark purple or burgandy dahlias. I'm going to have a friend with a really fancy camera & real 35mm film to have a go at it & see if she can catch the color.

• LindaArlington
    11 years ago

thanks so much for posting these photos! I was out of town and missed the Whatcom show this year. Congrats on your wins and for giving us beautifl flowers to grow. Looking forward to growing more of your dahlias in my garden.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Can you name the dahlias in picture 6 (AA table)? Fun--thanks for posting.

• bouquet_kansas
    11 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• pdshop
    11 years ago

Beautiful daughter and beautiful dahlias. Mine just got hit by frost last night. Early for CO so am disappointed. I hae always wondered if some dahlais do better in some climates than others? Do you sell your tubers? I wonder where Poochella is? I see that this is an 08 site. Haven't seen any posts from many of the people tht have commented here.