Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanonly_one

New Tubers

jeanonly_one
14 years ago

I purchased some tubers the other day from the clearance rack.

What do I do with them now? Should I store them over the winter, or plant in pots to bring in? Hope someone can give me an answer as I've had no luck searching.

Comments (5)

• corgicorner
    14 years ago

Although I checked your site, I didn't see anywhere where you are from. That makes answering your question a bit hard. If you are from a southern state, where it is warm all year long, I'd say to go ahead and plant them. If you are from a state where you are going to have freezing temperatures you have to take other measures, such as planting them in pots and bringing them inside during the freezing spells. What to plant them in? I'd suggest using 5 gallon "pails" such as spackling compound comes in. You must make some holes--1 inch in the bottom of the pail, and put some crock in the bottom of the pail to cover up the holes so the dirt does not flow out of the pail--and you will need some saucers under the pails or the water will flow all over the floor. Your next problem will be to select a good "soil", and you must not use plain garden dirt--it is excellent for use in the garden, but not in a container. (I have my own ideas on this, and will gladly give you my ideas if you write to me.) I would put about 6" of container "soil" in the pail, place the dahlia tuber horrizontally on top of this soil, and then cover it with about 2" of "soil"--that is 2" of "soil" above the tuber. As the dahlia grows you can add more and more "soil" as it grows until you have about 6" total "soil" above the tuber.
    This sounds like a very expensive proposition to me, particularly if you have lots of tubers. However, if you wish to do it for the fun or it, or are curios as to whether or not you can do it, that's up to you. In any case, good luck, and enjoy your venture. PLEASE let me know the results.

If you write to me, PLEASE put the word "GardenWebber" in the subject area to keep your e-mail to me out of my junk pile. THANK YOU.

• jeanonly_one
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your reply. My zone is 4/5. I have 6 tubers, & got the large pots, the ones trees & shrubs come in, from my neighbor. I will plant one tuber in each, as you describe, using a potting mix. I'll leave them in a sunny spot outside while the weather is warm, move them to the sun porch when it gets cooler, & when it's really cold put them under grow lights. Do I treat them as houseplants if they bloom during the winter? I hope to move them outside next year when danger of frost is past.

• corgicorner
    14 years ago

Maybe keeping them on the sunporch will be sufficient. Just keep them somewhere they will not get frozen. About lights--better than not, but you will have to keep the fluorescent lights about 4" above the foliage--any distance greater than 4" and the plants will start to stretch, and if this happens you can always cut off the weak growth.
    GOOD LUCK. I WISH YOU SUCCESS.

• corgicorner
    14 years ago

CORGICORNER HERE AGAIN.
    It is my opinion only, but I think most potting mixes are too "heavy". By that I mean they do not drain well, and are very liable to become "muddy". Try a small amount in a pot, and see how it reacts--if it drains well, and doesn't seem muddy----that's your decision. NOW, mix a small batch of 4 parts of your potting mix and 1 part perlite. TAKE YOUR TIME AND MIX IT WELL! See how that reacts. Yes! I know! you will have to decide which you think is best! Remember, you are putting a lot of time and energy into this project, so take your time and try to do it right. (By the way, you can incorporate those experimental batches into what ever you decide to go with.)

• jeanonly_one
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again. The mix I got is very light & has perlite in it. The 6 pots were washed, given a mild bleach dip, & rinsed. One tuber had a sprout which I cut off, dipped in rooting hormone & put into a small pot with a clear plastic cup on top. There were several smaller tubers that I put into a window box type container & covered lightly. If they sprout, I will find more large pots. The sun porch gets rather cold, so I'll move them into the house.
    I am feeling like a mad scientist, minus the lab coat.