Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best cutting method

Posted by smallfarm (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 8:49

my first post. big dahlia lover. my question is, how many of you use hot water right after ccutting? i don't see much of a difference from just placing in cold water right away....and does the florists life -extending powder make a significant difference? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best cutting method

Yes, I use hot water. However, I also use a drop of clorox, a tsp of sugar (sometimes some aspirin) and then put the flowers in a cool, dark place to drink water for a few hours or overnight(but I condition all of my cut flowers this way).

Bacteria is the biggest enemy of any cut flower. Change the water every day and if possible, clean the container or put just a drop of the clorox in everytime you add new water. Keep your arrangement out of a hot, sunny location.

Yes, I find all of the above makes a difference.

o
RE: best cutting method

Yes I also cut into hot water, the hottest I can get about 125 degrees. This helps hydration and sets the bloom. I leave in the hot water until it cools down and then put in the floral cooler.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here