Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

Best ways to rush a bloom?

sturgeonguy
14 years ago

Hi all, sorry I haven't been posting this summer, lots of other (good) things going on and just haven't had time. I am hoping to get out later today and get pictures of all my beds and many of the individual flowers. I've had a great crop this year.

Now for the question. Next Tuesday night is the judging for our local horticultural show (that's 4 days from now.) Several weeks ago I began the process of dis-budding and de-branching those flowers (and several alternates) that I'm putting into the show. I know Cory and many of you do this regularly, I just don't have the time.

Anyway, I have numerous "ideal" buds in various state of bloom, in the hopes there will be enough in full bloom on Tuesday. Is there something I could do to a bloom that is mostly open that would rush it to be fully open?? (other than time-lapse photography...;-])

I have experimented with various recipes for getting the flowers to last, and have found that the following works best for me:

- Boil water

- Let stand 30 minutes

- To 2 cups of water, add 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp sugar, and a few drops of Javex (or any bleach.) If not bleach, then vinegar works fine too. Stir, and add flowers.

Perhaps a variation on this will make the bloom open when sat in a solution??

Cheers,

Russ

Comment (1)