Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best ways to rush a bloom?

Posted by sturgeonguy 5a ON (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 9:33

Hi all, sorry I haven't been posting this summer, lots of other (good) things going on and just haven't had time. I am hoping to get out later today and get pictures of all my beds and many of the individual flowers. I've had a great crop this year.

Now for the question. Next Tuesday night is the judging for our local horticultural show (that's 4 days from now.) Several weeks ago I began the process of dis-budding and de-branching those flowers (and several alternates) that I'm putting into the show. I know Cory and many of you do this regularly, I just don't have the time.

Anyway, I have numerous "ideal" buds in various state of bloom, in the hopes there will be enough in full bloom on Tuesday. Is there something I could do to a bloom that is mostly open that would rush it to be fully open?? (other than time-lapse photography...;-])

I have experimented with various recipes for getting the flowers to last, and have found that the following works best for me:

- Boil water
- Let stand 30 minutes
- To 2 cups of water, add 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp sugar, and a few drops of Javex (or any bleach.) If not bleach, then vinegar works fine too. Stir, and add flowers.

Perhaps a variation on this will make the bloom open when sat in a solution??

Cheers,
Russ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best ways to rush a bloom?

We've tried a lot of things to try to get a bloom to open for a show- even resorted to putting a heat lamp on one for a few days once! To no avail. The only time a dahlia rushes is when you don't want it to & goes to center on the way to the show - evil little beasties!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here