Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccvacation

Show me your dahlias - Part 2

CCvacation
10 years ago

The first thread is getting so long to load that I thought a new thread would be nice...

There's only a month or so of dahlias left in the 2013 season... Please get your cameras clicking and share!

Cheers!
CC

Comments (24)

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had received two tubers of Normandy Wild Willie in a trade, and gifted one to a friend. He found that his was not correctly labeled after it bloomed, and will be tossed, but fortunately mine was correct!

Good reminder to us all to label the tubers early and carefully to avoid errors and sad faces. I need to go out soon and correct any plant labels that I know are wrong (like a Proycon that was labeled as a Tropic Sun in another trade- happy mistake, there!) BeFoRE frost kills all the blooms and I'm left guessing.

• pdshop
    10 years ago

I love Normandy Wild Willie! I hope I can find it for next year. I in CO. in the unusual weather. The dahlias decided to grow huge leaves off of where I had already cut them down. Didn't do much for more flowers though. Everything looks so healthy besides that.

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Hi CC,

just some of my flowers, I really need to wring some other pics out of my ***** smartphone.

That was two weeks ago, my plants are really taking off, producing lots of great flower heads. I got the impression that their coloring gets more vivid or darker, as the nights grow slightly colder.

I got so many Dahlias, I made bouquets for, like my upstairs neighbor, my kids daycare places and a birthday arrangement. Lots of fun, I mainly go for the waterlily and semi cactus with solid color. One, an additional free with my order, showed a bright red and then grew a yellow sport with red freckles, need to get a proper snap.

That`s Glory van Heemstede, pale yellow, the pinkish should be Twighlight Time, and The Sedum and Rudbeckia were special order from my 2.5 y old, by botanical name even, sigh.
    Well, just keep enjoying the last weeks of Dahlias, bye, Lin

Before....

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

and after...
    so much fun

ps: didn't find the time to apply the epsom salt, but sloshed on some general mineral fert, well, lightly

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's always fun to have little kids give single stems out to strangers at stores and restaurants, too. And I always shoot over a small bloom in the drive-threw bank tube. The bank tellers love getting something, and they double-count my money. I also wave down the neighbors, handing them random flowers if they stop.

Here's a favorite (I don't think I posted it before... Sorry if I did)-- AC Ben. It's an AA semi cactus.

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have to share a Bloomquist Barbara bloom that made the head table at our local dahlia show... Not mine, but is a perfect example of what an experienced grower can accomplish with some dahlia varieties. Check out the area around the stem. This bloom had many applauding the grower's expertise.

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's two in my garden. I've seen Sharkey win big at all the shows I've attended. First year growing that one, and I hear it provides lots of small indestructible tubers.

All my pictures are taken with my iPad, and unfortunately, the pad's red cover always slips over part of the camera lens. Sorry about that...

• pdshop
    10 years ago

Your pictures are beautiful. How do I post a picture of my dahlias as I need some ID's. Every year the tags disappear!

• leepenfold
    10 years ago

this is Penns Gift

• leepenfold
    10 years ago

I also like this Bristol Stripe

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Here's two that are very short, but nicely-shaped blooms.

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Firepot

• DYH
    10 years ago

Your dahlias are so lovely! I've not yet grown them because of voles, but I covet dahlias!

On my most recent trip to Paris, the Jardin des Plantes (botanical garden) had a trial of dahlias. I took lots of photos and tried to photo the names for reference if anyone is so inclined to find these cultivars. The "Grumpy Gardener" from Southern Living Mag was with us on this trip and we were so impressed by the dahlia garden.

{{gwi:653931}}

I don't want to bulk up the post with all the photos, so I've included a link to my garden and travel blog where the photos are labeled with the cultivar.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice picts on your blog. Thanks for posting the link. Bumble Rumble remains my all-time favorite collarette dahlia, so its nice to see it in a Paris garden, as well.

Here's an AC Abby, which is blooming non-stop for me right now, with many perfect flowers. Quite an award-winner in the shows.

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's an AC Paint, which has thrown pure white, lightly varigated and the deep variegation it's known for, all from the same plant this season.

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sure going to miss this sight in a month!

• Jo-Annrt
    10 years ago

Hello,
    New member here. I really enjoy seeing everybody's beautiful dahlias. I am getting some more exciting ideas of what new dahlias I need for my garden next year. Here are a few of mine. I am not sure how to get the names on the pictures.

• Jo-Annrt
    10 years ago

Not sure how to load multiple pics so here is another.

• Jo-Annrt
    10 years ago

One more very hardy dahlia.

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice, JoAnn! The first looks like Honka... What are the names of the other two?

I haven't figured out multiple picts, either. As for the name on the pict, I do that in an imaging program as I take the pictures with my iPad. That's why you sometimes see a bit of red in a corner; its my cover that just won't stay put.

This image was taken for myself so I can remember what these two varieties look like if I have to decide between them during planting time. The variety in the bottom right is Seduction, which I am told by a florist friend that it is a great cutter (last a long time + long stems) The two Lascinated labeled varieties are supposed to not last very long after they'e cut, but I've found they are good for about four-five days in a vase.

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

My favourite was Bloomquist Barbara of the above photos
    Have never seen it before

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a fun one that I enjoy in the garden and in a bud vase. I've yet to mix it in a bouquet since the colors don't blend well for me. It's seedling, Hollyhill Starburst, was one of my favorite for putting in bouquets this year.

• CCvacation
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These stems break crisply off, always straight with plenty of length. It was the third one to bloom for me in early July, and is finally getting a bit tired late in the season... But still popping awesome blooms out with occasional open centers. There are so many good companion varieties to blend with this one in bouquets. Just a delight to work with!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!