Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

Choices for my show entries - please vote

sturgeonguy
15 years ago

Since I haven't been growing my Dahlias to show, I'm stuck now with what is blooming to choose from for my entries. One of my favorites doesn't have an open bloom on it right now, which is disappointing...but...the choices for two of the four classes are easy:

Cactus Class: Tahiti Sunrise. I only have 2 blooming cactus styles and I've lots of bushes of Tahiti Sunrise so I'll have at least one really nice one on the show day.

Semi-Cactus: Cabana Banana. All of my other SC's aren't appropriately revolute, they look more like IDs. I've lots of good blooms on my Cabana Banana to choose from.

So there are two open classes, one with 3 blooms and another with 1.

I have seven varieties that have enough blooms for me to pick three from. Which of these would you choose?

{{gwi:655134}}
Snowbound - AID: 9" diameter flower on a 48" bush.

{{gwi:655136}}
Bodcious - AAID: 11" diameter flower on a 54" bush.

{{gwi:655138}}
Gladiator - AAID: 12" diameter flower on a 60" bush.

{{gwi:655140}}
Raspberry Punch - BID: 7" diameter flower on a 60" bush.

{{gwi:655141}}
Bride To Be - BBWL: 4" diameter flower on a 36" bush.

{{gwi:655143}}
China Doll - BBWL: 4" diameter flower on an 18" bush.

{{gwi:655145}}
Sandia Joy - BBWL: 4" diameter flower on a 24" bush.

For the single bloom open class I've got four more varieties to choose from, so eleven in all. Which would you pick?

{{gwi:655147}}
Papageno - AAID: 10" diameter flower on a 42" bush.

{{gwi:655149}}
Victoria Ann - BBID: 6" diameter flower on a 66" bush.

{{gwi:655151}}
Citron De Cap - BLC: 7" diameter flower on a 48" bush.

{{gwi:655153}}
Elijah Mason - MWL: 4" diameter flower on a 42" bush.

I'm currently leaning towards entering Gladiator in the 3 bloom class, and Victoria Ann in the single bloom class.

Cheers,

Russ

Comments (6)

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Victoria Ann,Snowbound and Bodacious. Now I am giving you what I like and what my neighbors have pointed out to me in catalogues. Plantlady dose shows and has a flower shop. So she has a much greater knowledge of the show circuit. I also know that what wins in some areas do not have the same enjoyment else where. My area has a colonial past. Many trees here are over a hundred years old and came from the old country. This may reflect on our taste. Dose this confuse you enough?

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lol Viking...nope, I'm not confused...;-]

The judges for my show are going to judge >100 different hort categories, so who knows what they'll think is best. I just know I like them all, but can only take two...;-] Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
    Russ

• pdshop
    15 years ago

Snowbound, Papageno and Elijah. I think there would be too many Bodacious there.

• annabeth
    15 years ago

If you want a complete novice's opinion (and by that I mean I've never even attended a Dahlia show), here goes: I like China Doll and Citron de Cap. But I also must add that I like Bride to Be simply because I'm growing it too and I love it.
    Annabeth

• Poochella
    15 years ago

I think Bodacious is dramatic and impressive, so that would be my vote for either the single or the triple arrangement. Love the colors on Victoria Ann; that would be good too. Your Citron du Cap looks perfect (to me) so that would get my vote of confidence as well. You're going to have to see what looks best to YOU and go for it!

Tahiti Sunrise is a good choice for the cactus slot, especially if you have lots of plants to get matching blooms. Lovely colors. Good luck, Russ.

• plantlady2008
    15 years ago

Russ- Of the first batch-- Bodacious & Snowbound look like they have the best form & color with Bride to be & China Doll in runner-up position.

In the second batch your Victoria Ann has the best form & a really good bloom position. A 45 degree angle is preferred on all but the giants & ball dahlias- they can be top sitters & not lose points.
    Papengo is an old variety that is a nice garden flower but doesn't win a lot at shows any more since it's quite flat.
    If you have an Elijah Mason with a good center it's a possible as long as the varigation is uniform.
    Just try to get fully double blooms that haven't blown their centers & stand up & look at the judges.
    Good luck!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths