Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harleylady_gw

Dahlia Disaster and Dilemma

harleylady
14 years ago

A freak windstorm this past weekend wiped out a "hedge" of dahlias that I had around one of my gardens. Huge thick stems snapped off at and even below ground level (very loose soil). So, any advice as to what to do now? I'm concerned about water getting into the tubers where the hollow stalks broke off and rotting the tubers if I leave them in the ground. Can I dig them this early? If I leave them in the ground and they resprout, will it exhaust the tubers to put out all that new growth this late in the season and then get dug in a month or two? Would appreciate any advice on the best way to salvage them. Thanks...

Comments (4)

• jroot
    14 years ago

I will have to dig up my "dahlia hedge" in a few weeks, as I will be away for a while. I know what you mean. We went through horrific wind storms last month, and several of mine were knocked over.

Yes, you can dig them, if necessary.

you can also bend the plant over so it continues to feed the tuber, but there won't be an exposed hollow stem.

You can also trim really close to a leave node where the stem does not appear to be so hollow.

.... My two cents worth.

• Poochella
    14 years ago

Sorry about your storm- so heartbreaking! We've just come out of 4" of rain and heavy breezes but I only lost one to toppling and uprighted it, pretending nothing ever happened :) We'll see how the plant 'pretends' in the next couple days. So far, so good.

Several years ago, I had one break off below ground and just mulched it well until digging time. Don't recall any re-sprouting, but the tubers kept well and I'm still growing progeny from that very plant today. There was some pink discoloration in the broken underground stalk parts, but nothing that went into the tubers at all. If I recall, that break happened sometime in late September and they easily kept a few weeks until October/Novembering digging. One tip: mark where the stalk WAS so you know about where to start digging, if you dig the tubers up.

You can also cover broken, gaping stalks with aluminum foil to prevent water from entering. The leaf node cut is another great suggestion, Jroot, as they are often natural barriers to water falling from sky entering deeply into the plant.

I would let your tubers mature as long as possible underground and then dig up as usual, or leave/protect as usual.

• harleylady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both for your suggestions. Poochella, hope your pretender does well. I've had them break up higher before but this is the first time they've broken below ground. I'll cover them and leave them for now. Some are in an area of heavy wet clay and I always dig those, the other end of the planting is in good soil that is bermed up and I may leave those in the ground. I have a lot of one particular dahlia so not a disaster if I lose some some of those, but I also have a few "onesies" that haven't multiplied as much as I'd like and those will be pampered a little more.

• Poochella
    14 years ago

"Pretender" has some of the curliest stems I've seen! Even a day or two horizontal will get those stems aiming skyward. Plant is doing okay though and new stems are straight again.

I hope your tubers keep for your.