Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahliaboy

Digging, Dividing and Winter Storage Of Tubers

dahliaboy
17 years ago

I just wrote an article for my local extention's horticultural news on care and storage of tubers.

I'm reprinting it here for anyone who's interested.

Dahlia Boy.

The question I get asked the most about dahlias is "How do I dig, divide, and store my tubers for the winter?" Dahlia tubers will be destroyed if they are left in the ground during the winter here in Westchester County NY, so they need to be dug up each year. After the first frost, the dahlia plants will turn black and the leaves will collapse against the stems. Once this occurs, cut the plant down to about 4 inches above the ground and attach an identifying tag to the short stalk. Use a shovel or digging fork to carefully loosen the soil around the tuber clump and gently lift it from the ground. Wash all excess soil from the clump using a garden hose being careful not to damage the thin protective skin of the tubers. Let the clumps dry overnight in the garage allowing the protective skin around the tubers to harden or "cure." This will help maintain the proper amount of moisture in the tuber during its long winterÂs nap.

Dahlia clumps should be divided and separated into individual tubers, using a knife or a long nosed clipper. Before dividing, remove any damaged tubers and all hair roots. Each tuber must have an eye. The eyes are located near the stem of the clump. I usually first divide the clump in half, making it easier to see the eyes more clearly and divide the individual tubers. Remember that you must remove part of the stem with an eye for that tuber to be a viable tuber. That being said, on occasion I have divided a tuber without a visible eye on the stem and an eye did appear during the over-winter storage period. Next, use an indelible marker such as a Sharpie to label each tuber. Place them in a one-gallon Ziploc bag filled with one-third vermiculite and 2 tablespoons of a fungicidal powder. (You can put a number of tubers of the same variety in one bag.) Shake the contents around in a Shake Ân Bake fashion to get the fungicidal powder to coat the tubers. I then write the varietyÂs name on the outside of the bag and place the bags in a cardboard box thatÂs lined with 12-15 sheets of newspaper for insulation. The bags are left open in the box and the box is closed and placed in my attic for winter storage. Tubers do best when maintained at a temperature between 38-50 degrees so itÂs critical to find the right area in you home, whether itÂs the attic, garage, or an unfinished basement.

I usually check on my tubers once a month during the winter to ensure they arenÂt rotting. If you do notice a tuber rotting, remove it from the bag so that the fungus doesnÂt infect the remainder of the tubers. These steps will result in a viable supply of healthy tubers for the next growing season.

Happy gardening,

Ed Bonci

MG 2006

Comments (18)

• bouquet_kansas
    17 years ago

i would like to print this out for future reference....but when i tried.....all i got was the ad pic......how do i go about printing this article ?

• welltraveled
    17 years ago

What is the name of the fungicidal powder please. and where to you purchase it.

Wonderful article thank you

• jroot
    17 years ago

A good article, Ed. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

• cherie1410_mi_jjlady
    17 years ago

Any suggestions on how to keep tubers in fridge?
    Have a spare fridge that is showing 41 degrees on thermometer, so I hope will be cold enough.
    Looks like will be my only option. Have no basement or garage. Shed is not protected or insulated.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, cherie

• tiffy2006
    17 years ago

bouquet_kansas,
    To print an article on Dahlia Forum:
    1.Select (highlight) the wanted article.

1. Right click on selected area, then choose COPY, Left click it.
    2. open Microsoft Word document, Put cursor on the blank (white) area, right click and choose Paste. Left click on Paste. You now have the wanted article !
      4. TO PRINT: On Microsoft Word document with the article that you just pasted, left click on FILE. Left click on PRINT.
      Done!
  • Poochella
    17 years ago

41 would be perfect with 35-45 being the ideal range. Just make sure your fridge is reliable- our spare one can freeze milk or leave the bread in the freezer part unfrozen depending on its mood. Perhaps time for a new spare fridge for us.

Do you know anyone with a garage who could store a box or two for you?

• cherie1410_mi_jjlady
    17 years ago

fridge is reliable thank goodness. have overwintered other bulbs and such. New to working with dahlias.Was give 250 plants from tubers this year.Not even thinking of having to dig and divide yet Lol. but getting cold here now.way too early.

only people i know that have garages keep them heated so they can use them in the winter. go figure...

• withouttrace
    17 years ago

Very helpful article. Have you ever compared growth of rooted cutting against replanting tuber?

• holmes_apprentice
    16 years ago

What brand of fungicidal powder do you recommend? Also, are the zip-loc bags sealed? The tubers do not need air? Never stored dahlias or any other plants over winter so I have NO clue. Thanks!

• dahliaboy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a section of the text lifted for your review: The bags are left open in the box and the box is closed and placed in my attic for winter storage. Tubers do best when maintained at a temperature between 38-50 degrees so itÂs critical to find the right area in you home, whether itÂs the attic, garage, or an unfinished basement. I also use Bonide brand Fungicidal Sulphur Powder.
    DB

• linht
    16 years ago

DB or anyone who knows,

After the tubers are dug up, cleaned and dried, are they suppose to feel a little tender to the touch?? Not mushy but just not hard like when they are ready to be planted in the spring?

• pdshop
    16 years ago

If I put the tubers in the fridge, should the bag be left open?

• grannymarsh
    16 years ago

Tubers should be firm, like a fresh potato. Springy suggests that is is de-hydrated.

If the frige is a frost free, it will dry out the tuber. My plastic bags are kept closed, BUT, I do keep an eye open for condensation inside the bag. When that happens, I put a dry paper towel inside for a few days to absorb the excess moisture, removing it later. If available, I will use those little bags of desiccant.

• MLcom
    16 years ago

Ed thank you for taking the time to type out this information for us.

ML

• linht
    16 years ago

Thanks grannymarsh,

I plan on getting a fridge in my basement to store the tubers because the temp fluctuations in my garage worry me. I have mine in bags of vermiculite. Do you have any idea if vacuum sealing those bags will help with shriveling/condensation?

• Poochella
    16 years ago

If I remember right, vacuum sealing wasn't recommended by Bernie Mandella who helped pioneer the Saran Wrap method. It'd be interesting to try it on a few though, just for comparison. I did wrap some in foil last year and they did just fine.

For the record, I'm going to try Ed's method at the top of this thread for a few stray tubers this year. The majority of others will go in Saran wrap.

• bootslevesque
    15 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out how best to store Dahlias here in Minnesota. I do have a good place for them but each year when I try to preserve them I always have some die. I've tried the plastic wrap and they rotted. Otherwise, if I put them in paper bags and into the storage area they tend to just dry out. Sometimes I take them out of storage in Feb. and soak them in the sink so that they won't dry out and that seems to help. In March I plant them in pots to get them an early start. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it to save them or if I should just buy new every spring. I always end up buying some of them to replace the ones that don't make it through the winter. In zone 4, (long winter), I'd be interested in knowing how you store yours. If you use the baggie/vermiculite method, what does the vermiculite do to preserve the dahlia bulbs? Thanks.

• totallyerin
    14 years ago

Hi there,
    There was a post about stored tubers sprouting early and growing excessive chlorotic folliage but you seem to be the expert on Dahlias so I will try a question here too.
    I just opened up my box of stored tubers (in peat moss in the basement) and some of the sprouts are up to 2 feet long with small leaves. Of course the colour is whitish and light green having had no light.
    What should I do? Should I just bury the stems like you would a tomato plant? Should I cut any of the stem off? It is still too cold to plant in the ground here so should I go ahead and plant them in pots just to get them out of the box? Or should I leave them until I can plant them straight in the ground?
    Thanks!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource