Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

The Rest

mctavish6
15 years ago

These are the dahlias that I have managed to save or get back pieces from friends I'd shared tubers with. I don't know the name of many of them. One I was hoping to get back that had been a favourite was Chilsons Pride. If it's there, it's hiding. I will definately order that one next year.

{{gwi:656146}}

{{gwi:656148}}

{{gwi:656150}}

{{gwi:656152}}

{{gwi:656153}}

This is one I've had the longest. It produces lots of flowers

{{gwi:656154}}

{{gwi:656155}}

And this is probably my favourite of all

{{gwi:656156}}

{{gwi:656157}}

Here is my favourite shot of the year (so far)

{{gwi:656158}}

I know this guy was nibbling but I think he's cute

{{gwi:656159}}

Comments (5)

• pdshop
    15 years ago

Speaking of that grasshopper, they do a job on the leaves. I have chilson's pride and I just love it. It is a large full bush with many, many flowers

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

My guess on the first one is Victoria Ann (Victoria Ann - BBID: 6" diameter flower on a 66" bush.) The second might be Outta Da Blue (Outta Da Blue - MFD: 3" diameter flower on a 42" bush.) That would be my guess based on the fact they seem to look just like the ones I have.

I really like Fidalgo Julie.

Cheers,
    Russ

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Be nice to know why people like the colors that they do. It isn't etnic? I have sisters across the street. One likes the reds and yellows the other loves lavendars and purples.

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Russ, you could be right about the first one. The size sounds about right. The second one has flowers at least 5 inches in diameter and is about 7 feet tall. I'm not sure where my friend got it originally, maybe in a bag at a nursery (rather than from a specialty mail order). The color is a STRONG dark, bright purple. It's very different than my usual choice of color. By the way, I noticed on another thread you gave the dimensions of Firepot as 3". I just measured mine and it's 6". I don't know why that would be but it's so unique looking it has to be the right plant. I didn't do anything speicial to it. I confess I didn't even fertalize my dahlias this year. Firepot was fully open by mid August which was about a month later than the others.

Vikingcraftsman, It is interesting about the color preference. I don't know about ethnic but astrology seems to play a part. My favourite color in general is yellow. Nearly all Pisces I've known actively hate yellow - blue is their choice. Pisces is water. My colors are warm, reds (true tomato reds not wine reds), orange, yellow, gold etc. I'm an Aries by the way - Fire - it makes sense at least to me.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

My etnic refeence was because it seems a lot of Italian girls like purple and lavender. They seem to wear dresses in those colors. The Spanish girls seem to like reds and yellows. The doors to there houses and the triming seems to be in that color. But like all of life nothing works out that neat. The two sisters who live across the street one loves the reds and yellows the other one loves the lavenders. And the Italian lady next door has a daughter who painted her room red and yellow. So my being able to know what a woman would like is still up in the air.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!