Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

How are dahlias presented and judged at shows?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I just left another thread about the Greater Philly dahlia society show at Longwood Gardens outside Kennett Square, Pa, and I will probably go, but I've never been to a flower competition or show.

The primary reason I started growing them was because I'd started a landscape design business several years ago, and I decided to learn about some of the less common plants that most people dont grow, so that I can recommend them to clients, and I could either just read about them, or read and grow them, so I grew them.

So I started out by buying some different spring bulbs and seeds of flowers I'd not yet dealt with, and larger dahlias were one of the flowers I tried out. I had seen a couple clients growing little dahlias that they bought at Lowes or wherever, but they were tiny, and needed no real maintenance other than watering.

So I discovered that there were thousands of dahlia varieties, and decided to grow them again.

So, I digress.......

How are dahlia shows usually set up? How do most people arrange them? What are the criteria that judges look for in a 'perfect' dahlia? I dont see anything about this stuff on the dahlia society's webpage......

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022