Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could the black barck mulch be the culprit??

Posted by ladybugsmom192 9 -SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 15:01

I'm not new to dahlias, but new to starting them from tubers for this year. I have several in an area that gets morning and early afternoon sun, that's it, and are planted with one hydrangea and a couple of patches of gladiolis. In this particular area I have mulched with black bark, hubby thought it would be a different look and wanted try it. But I'm now wondering if this is what's wrong with my plants.

I have about 6 planted there, 2 Arabian nights, 2 Christmas, and not sure what the other two are, and all but one has fried from the GROUND UP. The one that hasn't is weak and spindly.

I have several others in an area directly across from these and they're going like gangbusters!! One of these is almost 7 feet tall with beautiful blooms! The difference is no bark mulch. Well, no mulch at all. And they're planted with the same combination of plants as the others.
, but they get just a little more sun in the late afternoon.

Any suggestions? Should I dig up the bark?

Thanks,
Ladybugs mom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could the black barck mulch be the culprit??

A few months ago, I read a similiar post on the Hosta forum and the person posting indicating that they had used black mulch and it pretty much killed the plants in the gardens they had used it in.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here