Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa2006

We love dahlias now! Questions:

melissa2006
17 years ago

We're in the Denver area and had no idea about dahlias before but on a whim, we bought a package of tubers at Home Depot this spring and planted them. Two with orange flowers and two with bright magenta flowers.

Wow did they turn out amazing! Big bushes that have been covered with flowers for 2 months now! We love these things, and the bees seem to too!

But I have some questions, if you all could be so kind as to help me with these.

First, do we have to take them up for the winter? I have them planted in some planter boxes that are made above ground, out of recycled highway guard rails, which are 8x8 inches. They're planted a few inches beneath the surface.

If I do take them up, how and where do I store them for the winter?

I'd also love to buy some more exotic varieties and plant them next spring. I love some of the ones that I've seen on the various dahlia society web pages.

But I'm confused. I see sites selling them, that offer seeds or tubers. These ones that we have are from tubers. Is this not the same plant when they're grown from seeds? Or do the seeds later form tubers or something?

Some of the photos I've seen at the societies' web pages are absolutely stunning. Do those varieties cost a lot to but tubers for>

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus