Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a Guiness record for dahlia height?

Posted by redmond_phyllis 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 15:29

While I'm not at all sure that it's desireable, I have a Cyril Higgo that was measured last week at 7 feet, 10 inches! Had a windstorm so we had to go out to buy a bigger stake to keep it from going over and taking it's neigbors with it. It looks unwieldly, however I think with babying, I can keep it upright for the remainder of the season. Any other records for tall dahlias to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a Guiness record for dahlia height?

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 21:40

This deserves a photo. Don't you think? Mine have never been that tall.

o

I'll work on that. Have a picture but have to get the file small enough. Maybe tomorrow?

o

Our Kenora Clyde's used to always be at least 10' tall- Walt would stake it w/ a 6' wooden stake & then just keep adding five-footers to it until he finally got to the top. One year it was 12' tall. Luckily it had a really big, thick stalk so it didn't break off. We quit growing it though because, even though we didn't use it for a seed parent, it did get around via the bees & we started getting really tall seedlings- we didn't want that so bye, bye, Clyde!

o

So I have a picture in my files, and I made the file very small so it should be compliant with the forum, but how do I get my picture on the posting? I've read through the instructions, and they seem to point me to the picture gallery forum. But I see other people posting pictures on this forum so I'm missing some information! Help? We don't have photobucket . . .

o

You can sign up for photobucket for free.

o

Phyllis, we want to see your dahlias! Check out Photobucket, if you want, and I'll be happy to tutor you by email on uploading and posting. It's really easy.

Regarding tall dahlias, we're reaching that time of year when I have to sacrifice tall monsters to let sun get to those poor waifs in their shadows. My tallest by far was Jaylene G a small rose-colored waterlily that packed a punch at 9'-10'. I cut one off at a reasonable 4'level. It's already grown new sprouts up to 5'. Others that will get the snip are 8' or so, shadowing 4 footers behind them. So much for planning heights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here