Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
if lifting Dahlia before the frost, let them dry/ wilt before?

Posted by linaria 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 15:47

Hello there,
as I want to avoid a mad rush of harvest/work after the first frost I pondered lifting some potted Dahlias of mine earlier.
I know that a light frost is supposed to help the tubers to ripen or go dormant. So if I lift some tubers soon, should I stopp watering them for a week or two? So far the days get still very warm, with cool nights. Some have mildew already and dont look great anymore (neglected them slightly).

Thanks for your advice, cheers
Lin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: if lifting Dahlia before the frost, let them dry/ wilt before

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 18:17

Lin,

I often bring mine in before the frost. It really doesn't matter whether you water or not, because you will be cleaning them off, dusting them with a fungicide / bulb dust, letting them dry on the surface, and then storing them in a way that you like.

I have some with powdery mildew this fall also. That will all be cut off and discarded.

Hope that helps.

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here